Thread: Windows 7 "Send To"

Windows 7 "Send To"

Windows 7's Send To isn't "programmable." I mean I can't manipulate it like XP. In XP I found the folder and put more destinations in it, including File Folders and programs. Seven's just has a few destinations. Where's the folder?

Re: Windows 7 "Send To"

You can alternative type in explorer address bar shell:sendto and it will open send to folder. Users\yourusername \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

I have a Dell inspiron 1545 in I cant get in cuz I forgot tha administrator password but I have tha otha password

The service tag is gtlx7h1-595b
    Express service code is 36618857749
    Hard-disk number xey08p1j961-595b

Thanks for any help!

If it is your laptop then there are two things you can try. I am assuming that you forget Windows administrator password. There are two methods you can try. First opening up the laptop and removing the cmos battery and putting it back again. Second there is a bootable disc called as ophcrack. You can boot your laptop with this disc. It will show up Windows password. It is good for password recovery.

Hey, I'll try it. I haven't actually installed Windows 7 yet. Old board can't handle it. But want to be ready. Maybe I'll be able to do it at work where my PC has 7. Thanks.

It works in XP, sure enough.

I appreciated the answer. At the time I didn't yet have Windows 7--just planning on it. Now I have installed "7"

Having limited success. I've put Notebook and Media Player in "Sendto" and they work. I've put Word and Excel and they don't show up when I right click and "send to." And I haven't a clue how to put a folder there.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by DHR View Post
    I appreciated the answer. At the time I didn't yet have Windows 7--just planning on it. Now I have installed "7"

Having limited success. I've put Notebook and Media Player in "Sendto" and they work. I've put Word and Excel and they don't show up when I right click and "send to." And I haven't a clue how to put a folder there.

Any ideas?
    Which version of the Microsoft Office are you using? Try the FixIT method suggested for the issue "The "E-mail" command is missing or is unavailable in Excel 2007, in PowerPoint 2007, or in Word 2007" from here and see if it works out.

Guess I didn't make myself clear. Problem--as I see it--is with the "Send To" command in the menu that pops up when one right-clicks on a file in File Explorer. The choices Microsoft provides are meager. In XP I was able to put programs and even folders (called "directories" to us old timers). Your answer to my query some time ago explained how to find "Send to" in Windows 7. I've added Notebook and Media Player shortcuts and they work. I've added Word & Excel shortcuts but they dont' work.

No idea how to get folders into Send To, either.

Guess I didn't make myself clear. Problem--as I see it--is with the "Send To" command in the menu that pops up when one right-clicks on a file in File Explorer. The choices Microsoft provides are meager. In XP I was able to put programs and even folders (called "directories" to us old timers). Your answer to my query some time ago explained how to find "Send to" in Windows 7. I've added Notebook and Media Player shortcuts and they work. I've added Word & Excel shortcuts but they dont' work.

No idea how to get folders into Send To, either.
    Well, does the below method works for you:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft Office, and then point to the Microsoft Office program for which you want to create a desktop shortcut.
    2. Right-click the name of the program, point to Send To, and then click Desktop (Create shortcut). A shortcut for the program appears on your desktop.

Thanks for taking time to answer but what I want is what I could do in XP: Have Word, Excel, etc. and Folders appear in the "Send To" options. Windows 7 provides these in Send to: Compressed ..., Desktop ..., Documents, Fax Recipients, etc.

I've successfully added Notebook, Windows Media Player, and RealPlayer.

The Word and Excel shortcuts appear in the Send To folder (C:\Users\DHR\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo) and they work if opened there but they don't even appear in the Send To feature, so I cant' send anything to them. That's the problem.

Thanks for taking time to answer but what I want is what I could do in XP: Have Word, Excel, etc. and Folders appear in the "Send To" options. Windows 7 provides these in Send to: Compressed ..., Desktop ..., Documents, Fax Recipients, etc.

I've successfully added Notebook, Windows Media Player, and RealPlayer.

The Word and Excel shortcuts appear in the Send To folder (C:\Users\DHR\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo) and they work if opened there but they don't even appear in the Send To feature, so I cant' send anything to them. That's the problem.
    You can try to make an item in the Send To list that is termed “Modify This Menu”. After that create it like a batch file that can execute “explorer.exe %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo”. Hope that helps you out.

We're on the same page now. I hope I can do what you've suggested!

I'll say this: Windows drops perfectly good features in pursuit of new ones.