Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

ubuntu 11.04 freezing

Operating Systems

Old 03-04-2012

ubuntu 11.04 freezing

Recently I have installed ubuntu 11.04 on my computer. after completing with the installation I restarted the computer. now system is freezing especially when the screen saver is coming. I could not get whether it is happening because of software or hardware issue. any help on this particular matter will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 03-04-2012

Re: ubuntu 11.04 freezing

Well looking at the situation I wanted to ask some useful questions which will help me to get the exact root cause of the problem.
Does your system is freezing when you have set the screen saver to Blank Screen? At what particular moment freezing supposed to occur?
Old 03-04-2012

Mostly the system is freezing when screensaver is coming on the computer. could be system is running into deadlock as the keyboard of mine was not giving any response. This particular issue is happening with the blank screensaver. So far I have noticed below mentioned incidence noticed of freezing.
When I am playing full screen video
When screensaver is running for the longer period of time.
Old 03-04-2012

If your system is getting freeze when screensaver is coming then better you should simply disable it. in fact you should set the same when screen is getting idle. It is located at Power Management. You will need to go System and look for Preferences here you will find power management.
Old 03-04-2012

After researching a lot finally I got below mentioned solution which worked for me.
First of all you will need to install Compiz Settings Manager on your system by using following piece of command.
Code:
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

now you have to go for OpenGL plug-in and simply uncheck Sync to VBlank option.
So try it and let me know whether it is working or not.
Old 03-04-2012

Freezing which is occurring when computer is idle does not seems to be happening because of OpenGL screensavers. It might be showing that how DPMS is working. Freezing assocaited with exiting applications or switching between from full screen.
You will be able to manually invoke and control DPMS by making use of xset command.
Code:
sleep 1; xset s activate
or you should turn off the screen saver
Code:
 sleep 1; xset dpms force off
Old 03-04-2012

another solution which I wanted to tell you over here. in this particular solution you will require to disable DPMS from xorg.conf. here you have to add an option into the Monitor section.

Code:
Section "Monitor"
        Option  "DPMS" "Off"
EndSection
Old 04-04-2012

Make sure that you have installed latest version of graphic card driver on your computer. Also try to reinstall ubuntu and see whether it is making any difference into the situation. Apart from above mentioned solution I came to knew that there were many distributions which seems to be quite buggy. I think the developers would work on the same.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,