Thread: Getting error message while booting with ubuntu 10.10's usb-creator-gtk

Getting error message while booting with ubuntu 10.10's usb-creator-gtk

as it came to my notice that the Ubuntu developers are moving speedily to bring you the total most recent along with utmost software the Open Source community has to offer , I made an installation of Maverick which I found to be suitable. I was attempting for some booting from a USB drive onto which I had added an image for 10.04 by making use of 10.10's usb-creator-gtk. And after the BIOS screen I received this error:

Code:
    SYSLINUX 4.01 debian-20100714 EDD Copyright (C) 1994-2010 H. Peter Anvin et al
    Unknown keyword in configuration file: gfxboot
    vesamenu.c32: not a COM32R image
    boot:
    vesamenu.c32: not a COM32R image
    boot:
    (...)
    I made another attempts but it was the same in my case and also swapped flash drives but there was no type of good response. I have been making use of the usb-creator-gtk on my 64-bit desktop. I dint made any test or something on 32-bit version on my system , but I assume the issue could be with the 64-bit version only. anyhow, I am not knowing what the error indicates and I also don’t know what could be the possible reason behind it .

re: Getting error message while booting with ubuntu 10.10's usb-creator-gtk

I found out that this is a issue with Syslinux, and not with a USB Creator, and labeled it as such. And I made a downgrad of Syslinux to Lucid's version additionally and it worked. After looking around in this case , with the syslinux config files as well as still not getting it to boot correctly, I started a deceptively easy workaround for this: you need to just type "help" on the BOOT prompt, along with when you get the help menu, you need to just hit enter. The system will at present tend to boot. It has also confirmed that this in addition tends to work for me when booting a USB stick created by 10.10's USB creator.

I had the similar problem, but then I made use of unetbootin to make my usb and it will as well tend to work just very well. I expect this helps.by making use of Mint 10 Creator for making a USB Stick. I had made attempts typing "help" and then ENTER but and there was no change. but the previous one worked.

I also made some s\similar tries in this issue and got after finding it on net i got something like , "vesamenu.c32 not a com32r image". I made an installation of the deb packages for lucid (0.2.22) in a maverick-based distro (mint 10) but there was same error.and after working on this one in the Google search, I found this one . you must make use of the suitable *.c32 from the accurate edition of syslinux. but you are not able to just copy your syslinux version stuff to usb and have an reinstall of syslinux. assuming usb is sdb1 as well as mounted at /media/disk.

I have some simple solution which will work in your case. You require to open terminal, become root with "sudo su" in addition your password and
    Code:
    cp -r /usr/lib/syslinux/vesamenu.c32 /media/disk/syslinux/
    syslinux /dev/sdb1
    with this you will be able to solve your issue .

I also had the similar issue and I need to suggest that the easiest thing to do when you get this error is, you need to hit tab and then type "live" along with that you need to press enter. then everything should boot up. I am downgrading to Lucid's USB creator right now, will see how it works. I will also have to rewrite the image to the drive. I am downgrading to Lucid's USB creator at present, and will see how it mechanism. I will as well have to rewrite the image to the drive.

You are able to make a grub2 iso install of Ubuntu, otherwise other Debian derivative, determined by editing the grub.cfg menu entry alike to the following:
    "linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/iso/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso noeject noprompt -- persistent"
    And you need to make an creation of a ext2, 3 or else 4 partition named casper-rw. If you desire a separate home partition, you will require to name it as home-rw. You also need to make a note that persistent has a space previous to it.

So as you are concerning to this issue, I need to say that you must make use of the suitable *.c32 from the accurate version of syslinux. but you are able to just copy your syslinux version stuff to usb in addition to reinstall syslinux , presuming usb is sdb1 furthermore mounted at /media/disk. In addition to this you will require to open terminal, become root with "sudo su" plus your password along with this one .
    Code:
    cp -r /usr/lib/syslinux/vesamenu.c32 /media/disk/syslinux/syslinux /dev/sdb1

on slackware syslinux is in /usr/share
    and it will really work in your case. That is a weird bug to have no way to make use of the last release in the usb startup creator. I was previously not able to get the line of the terminal to go through without an error but it did appears that with simply copying of the syslinux folder you will be OK with that one.

The Option of "Tab Button" Worked for me at the time of making an installation of of BackTrack 5 . you need to just type install after boot . you can also try with having an work around like making use of UNetbootin. It will really work in your case. In addition it has also came to me that just making an installation of grub2 to the flash drive along with copy the iso to the drive tends to really work. You need to edit grub.cfg to loopmount the ISO.and all would solved. Hope this one helps .

I am having a number of Ubuntu's, Parted Magic, along with system Rescue,as well as the gparted, plus puppy (but it is not loopmounted) all on my 4GB flash drive.I favor this for making some installs as I simply copy my Ubuntu ISO along with edit grub config with the new name and I am good to go.I only made some tests for booting from the hard drive and it had really worked. I have found in addition that there are two scripts which automate the install as one of which is MultiBootUSB and you need to install along with boot multiple Linux from Pendrive / Flash drive / USB disk. And the second onewhich I found was multicd.sh which is combination of Linux ISOS into one. Previously Simply doing an install from live , it tends to be working well in my case.so this will definitely help those guys which are having issues persisting.