Thread: How to fix dropping dns connection on Snow Leopard

How to fix dropping dns connection on Snow Leopard

Why does the mac system losses dns everytime. Is there a valid reason behind the same. I have not played with any settings. There were some updates I had run the same and after that facing name resolution issue with the local network. Sometime I cannot even ping google. The name resolution failed a number of time. How to keep this stable. What settings do I am missing.

Re: How to fix dropping dns connection on Snow Leopard

It does looks issue with your mac system. I think the router settings are messed up. Reset your router settings and then check back. Many a time this issue is fixed by resetting the router.

This issue appear most commonly after updating your mac version. The only way to get rid of this is resetting the entire mac settings. I think you will need to make that fix from scratch. You can run dns flush command to wipe out any existing settings if available. Now to keep an eye on the failure you can find out the dns server by scutil --dns. With you can find the list of local dns that are configured on your mac system. You check by pinging those dns that they are stable enough to deliver you proper internet connectivity. Also I will recommend you to change your dns if needed. You can ask your isp for the same. Find your dns network setting and try a number of time with different dns at a time.

Try to end up the process called as mDNSResponders. Then check back again. If still not then the issue lies with the isp itself. You might need to check the dns server is functioning properly or not.

Try open dns, dynamic dns or google dns whichever you can conifgure quickly on your mac system. If you are still not getting the same then it looks there is some kind of trouble with the mac system. Try to check your router settings also what they offer. Go on apple site and you will find documentation related to dns server troubleshooting. There are number of steps mentioned that you can try out.