Thread: Battery Life/Power Consumption of Linux ubuntu Kernel 3.0

Battery Life/Power Consumption of Linux ubuntu Kernel 3.0

as I thought that ubuntu will serve my requirements in a very used manner and I'm running Xubuntu 11.04 64-bit. and so I just made an up gradation from Linux kernel 2.6.38 to Linux 3.0 by making an install of the .deb packages from Oneiric, and I am not having exact ideas in this case as it came into my view that there is a major drop in battery life which I suppose is about 35% less time on my laptop. And after reverting to the previous kernel brings back the good battery life along with cool temperatures. There is a requirement of the 3.0 kernel because of some of the drivers it encloses. Are you guys having any issues in this case and what could solve this issue .

Re: Battery Life/Power Consumption of Linux ubuntu Kernel 3.0

So as this issue relates in my case , this will solve your case in some terms. I am making use of gentoo. I would like to inquire you guys that are you having free drivers vs ATI/NVidia ones ?What is the driver you require? And there is also a assumption that if you are making use of wifi , it may consume additional power. If all else fails and you are able to make out how to read a kernel .config file, they may be existing in /proc/config.gz. And I need to further suggest that you need to look in power management stuff, but it can also be scheduler related. So just make a check in the mentioned settings.

I need to ask you whether you are able to install powertop or not. As this is really very useful to debug what is consuming your precious power .It will as well tell you if your processor doesn't slow down as it should. So if you are able to install the powertop , you will be able to recognize all the issues which come in your way.

I need to ask you whether you are able to install powertop or not. As this is really very useful to debug what is consuming your precious power .It will as well tell you if your processor doesn't slow down as it should. So if you are able to install the powertop , you will be able to recognize all the issues which come in your way.
    Thanks for your reply. As you suggested to make an install of powertop , I made a successful installation but I don’t have idea regarding the next step. What to do then. And as you said that it will be able to find the information of your power configurations , where I will be able to find the same. as well, if my CPU is reading some 5% in top, wouldn't it almost certainly be something else which is causing the power issues . can you please assist further.

Thanks for your reply. As you suggested to make an install of powertop , I made a successful installation but I don’t have idea regarding the next step. What to do then. And as you said that it will be able to find the information of your power configurations , where I will be able to find the same. as well, if my CPU is reading some 5% in top, wouldn't it almost certainly be something else which is causing the power issues . can you please assist further.
    so you need to run powertop on a terminal and along with this make a note of one thing , also on a terminal, after typing this command

lsmod | grep cpufreq

what will it return. And as you said that you are with 5% on top , it is giving you the cpu workload. In addition, I will also say that the frequency will be throttled down only if the power management, specifically. cpufreq governor, inquires for it.

I have some guys who are interested in booting with a certain kernel parameter. And if you need to make them permanent you should make an installation of graphical tools like startupmanager to mess with them. And in addition to this it is done in the bootloader config file.

you need to try with adding the below mentioned option to the kernel boot parameters. And this app Guest

you need to try with adding the below mentioned option to the kernel boot parameters. And this appears as it is with an old kernel bug. So the code is here,
    Code:
    pcie_aspm=force

Perform some options given which will help you to solve your issue in some means .
    1)So run this command:
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop;sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.2.5-tunerc6v1_3.2.5-tunerc6v1_all.deb linux-headers-3.2.5-tunerc6v1-generic_3.2.5-tunerc6v1_amd64.deb linux-image-3.2.5-tunerc6v1-generic_3.2.5-tunerc6v1_amd64.deb
    3) As root, you need to edit /etc/default/grub such that the line
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT reads like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.i915_enable_rc6=1"

4) and again you will require to Run this command:

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    5) then have a Reboot of your system.

6) make a note of one thing that you never install any kernel updates through Update Manager. They will replace this patched kernel, which will tend to be not good in your case. And I advise uninstalling all other kernels through your package manager so that you are quite sure they don't try to update, along with manually verify when you run Update Manager that not anything which is starting with "linux-" is being installed.