Thread: Solution for using Md3200 on Windows Server 2008

Solution for using Md3200 on Windows Server 2008

I am looking for a solution that can help to connect Md3200 on a Windows Server. I want to connect the same to raid adapter and share it on another server. Right-now Windows server is running on vmware. So the connectivity here is a bit complicated process. I need helps and tips to fully configure the same on virtual machine. The only problem here is connecting the same to virtual machine running Windows Server 2008. I am not sure where to start from in vmware.

Re: Solution for using Md3200 on Windows Server 2008

For that I will recommend you to go with some documentation process. At start that might simply does not work. The device MD3200 is a SAS version which does not really work on VMware ESXi. While 3200i works properly because of iscsi support. You can configure more than one system on the same of similar volume. The server does not really support a san disk and the process is lot more complicated than you think. What lies here is the issue with cluster file system. I will not recommended you to go for the same or else you can face data loss here.

Try to find any guide on the same. There is a guide on vmware site which is listed as ESX Server SAN Configuration Guide. This guide provides you detail on the configuration settings of SAN on ESX server.

I had made the setup work properly with a server that has 2 network card and iscsi support. It is not clear yet that VmWare ESX might refuse to install if the server does not have SCSI disk. In some cases it works where you need to find a proper configuration for the same. It is noted that ESX will use the additional space required to 7Gig default instalation as the datastore. I recommended gigabyte of course for the iSCSI network.

What I am trying to do here is to get a Windows 2008 cluster work with sql server. So here the connectivity mostly lie under the physical process. There is one more server which be counted as guest and it runs in vmware box. When both are connected to MD3200 I had seen that one the controller failed to connect. I had checked with a number of method to make this work but in both the case physical or virtual things does not worked at all. So what I think this is not at all possible.

I can list you the procedure to create an interface bonding. Remember that the order I had mentioned below is very important. But before that you will need to configure SAN properly on the server. If that does not work then this steps are simply uses. Configure an interface bonding in vacuum (without slave). Configure the first interface (future slave) by STATIC. Add the first slave to bonding with the link add slave. Repeat the same procedure for other Slavic is important is to create an interface "bonding" first empty, set in the static before you include them in the bonding.

There are very less option that it will work. I will recommend you to upgrade to Md3200i. This is more economical and provide you better connectivity.