Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

‘open /dev/null failed’ error message while booting Lucid

Operating Systems

Old 31-03-2012

‘open /dev/null failed’ error message while booting Lucid

Well I am running Lucid 64 bit on my computer. as I am selection operating system at a grub menu the screen of my system is getting black and I am getting below mentioned error message as follow.
udevd-work [332] open /dev/null failed no such file or directory
I searched on the Google to get the root cause and solution to this particular problem but there was nothing which can help us to resolve the issue.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 31-03-2012

Re: ‘open /dev/null failed’ error message while booting Lucid

After going through the issue of yours I think you will need to update grub list by using below mentioned command.
Code:
upate-grub
so try the same and let me know whether it is working or not.
Old 31-03-2012

I think I am having something really interesting to share. As per Unix based operating system /dev/null or the null device considered as a special file which is discarding all the data which written on the same. however it also reports that write operation has been successfully done and it does not provides any data to any of the process which is reading from the same, in fact it yields EOF at the time of reading only. So in simple terms its just black hole which is used to avoid unwanted output and it’s a standard part of Linux file system.
Old 31-03-2012

Well I was suffering from the above mentioned problem and I managed to fix the issue by disabling floppy disk, serial and parallel ports from BIOS and after doing that there was no error message on my system.
Old 31-03-2012

If I am not wrong udev is responsible for creating /dev/null as a virtual node. I think there is something happening like race condition in system. thread is making an attempt to access the file before the thread has been created. Mostly it works perfectly but sometimes sync issue occurs and nodes were not available when it is requested.

To resolve the issue I recommend below command and let me know whether it is working or not.
Code:
sudo rm -f /dev/null
sudo mknod /dev/null c 1 3
sudo chmod a+w /dev/null
Old 03-04-2012

Many people are claiming that the above mentioned happening due to bug issue and hence I am suggesting that you should contact the developers and file a bug report to them.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,