Thread: Cannot delete desktop files in Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2

Cannot delete desktop files in Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2

I need urgent help here to get rid of two files which are stucked on my desktop. I had installed Office 2011 in my system. Also I had installed some couple of tools but never face this issue. After installation I had copy pasted my excel files to the system. I used Office 2011 to save files after modification. But after that I can see some random number files on my desktop. I cannot delete this file nor I can move them anywhere. It is not working at all. It does not even popup any error on the screen when I delete the files or cut paste them in any different location. What should I do to delete this files. Should there will be any issue if I remove them. I do not want to loose my files.

Re: Cannot delete desktop files in Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2

They can be a kind of temporary files created by Microsoft Office. So you can delete the same when you reboot your system once. And then try to get rid of them they can be deleted.

This are called as phantom files I think. They appear from nowhere. The most common reason behind this is virus. They create such files in your system and you cannot get rid of them easily. They modify your file permission. As the administrator does not has right to delete it, it cannot be removed easily. Mostly such files appear for those who are using Microsoft Office. Anyhow after sometime you can try using a cleaner tool for Mac OS X. This cleaner will wipe out any unused files from your system. Those files does not cause any harm.Many of them disappear after a reboot.

You can try to remove them terminal. Open terminal and then type sudo rm -f. Then you can just drag the file to the terminal which open up the location of the file. Later on add your password and hit enter. You can play with permission here. Another way is by right clicking on the file and then click on info. Click on sharing and permission. Modify the settings from there.

There are not exact solution yet which can provide a clear light that why this files are created and how to get rid of them. I think this somewhat related to office files. Because even I had noticed such file when I edit excel spreadsheet.

This is just a clear issue of file permission. You can move the file to trash by modifying its permission. Just right click and then choose get info. You can change the permission here. Get full access and drag the file to trash. It will work. I had used tool called as batchmod. This tool can help you to edit your file permission. You can gain control back on entire home folder. It is a very small and easy to use tool. You can try this out.

sad Re: Cannot delete desktop files in Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2

I can't even get the files to open the "Get Info" part. I can't drag it to trash or delete it. Yes, it does go away after I restart but that's a pain in the neck. Anyone know if this is a bug that will be fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by shewren View Post
    I can't even get the files to open the "Get Info" part. I can't drag it to trash or delete it. Yes, it does go away after I restart but that's a pain in the neck. Anyone know if this is a bug that will be fixed?
    Can you be more specific as to what is the problem that you are facing? What are the file types that you are trying to open anyways? If I am understanding well, then can you open the Utility folder, inside the applications folder, and launch Disk Utility. Select your HD in the LH column and click on Repair Permissions.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

question Re: Cannot delete desktop files in Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2

When I upgraded to Lion every time I use Excel it puts a file out on my desktop that I can't move or delete. When I right click the menu drops down but it won't let me click on "Get Info". I also tried "command I" with no results. The files just stack up on my desktop. I ran the repair permissions but it doesn't get rid of the files. Thanks for your help.

Daizy Guest

I would like to suggest you to reboot your system, files will be disappear. It helps you to get rid of this problem.