Thread: Windows Compatibility Mode Fix for Steam

Windows Compatibility Mode Fix for Steam

Steam freeze issue is common in my system. I tried a number of time to remove and put it back. But it freezes in game and sometime lag like hell. I need help to deal with the same. When I right click on the steam icon > properties I had seen that there are not compatibility setting set for the application to run. But I found that Steam troubles you more when you are on compatibility mode. Is that true.

Re: Windows Compatibility Mode Fix for Steam

Yes it is correct. Many a time Windows compatibility settings are applied to steam without users interference. It is also not reflected in the properties window. I am not sure what is the actual reason behind this. But windows sometime apply this settings without notifying the users. So the direct result of this is slow lagy steam. Freezing is the most common in many cases. Once you can find the way to get rid of this compatibility you can see the difference in the performance. It works much faster and better. Whenever you see a message that the program installed is not functioning properly you must assume that Windows has applied compatibility settings on it. And it can be removed only by modifying Window registry. You can first take a backup of the same. So that you can restore that in case of any error. To fix that run registry editor by typing regedit in run box and find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted. Remove Steam from here. Do the same for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers. Reboot your system and then check back.

Does that process really works. I am not sure. I had seen in my system there are not compatibility settings applied. I am only facing freezing issue on steam.

If you read that post properly then you can find the reason behind it. Windows applies compatibility settings to steam automatically. This settings are the cause of various issue arise in steam working. Like very slow opening or freezing in between. The game launch also take a very long time to run th game. The above method might surely work. There are also many complain made to steam for this issue but yet there is no clear help provided on it.

Will doing that manually can effect. Like right clicking on the icon and then applying compatibility. Later on again right clicking and removing the compatibility mode. Will this work.

According to me modifying the system registry can be risky if that is not done properly. Many users cannot even understand how to navigate to those key. There should be a different solution for the same which can tell how to get rid of this issue. Editing registry if done improperly can cause system failure. I think we can give a try this once by keeping a backup ready first.