Thread: Companion applications in Windows 8 consumer preview asks for a Microsoft account while signing in

Companion applications in Windows 8 consumer preview asks for a Microsoft account while signing in

Hi I got this problem in my windows 8. While logging in I was asked for a email account as such I did not have the hotmail account and hence I logged in with the help of the local Gmail account. So I was given a access. Now while running some of the applications like XBox Companion, I got a message which said "To get the most from this app, switch from your local account to a Microsoft Account on the Users page in PC settings". However I could see that while going to the users control I had the only option of switching to the local account. So that’s what I saw here. Anyways is there any workaround to get rid of these problems. Do tell me if you do have any idea about it.

Re: Companion applications in Windows 8 consumer preview asks for a Microsoft account while signing in

Ok just want to verify few of the points from your side so that I can get to know what exactly is the issue that you are encountering. So tell me are you using the Domain Connected Account? Or a local account? Or only a connected account? What is the error message that you are getting while you are trying to sign in? have you upgraded this from windows 7? If yes then are you using the same lined account in the windows 7 for the windows 8 as well? are you planning it that way, that’s what I am asking. However by that time you can also verify which connected account you are using by
    - Going to the settings and in that control panel.
    - User accounts, then manage your Pc settings.
    - In the users, you can validate your connected account is registered to your local account.
    So do come back with the replies.

Re: Companion applications in Windows 8 consumer preview asks for a Microsoft account while signing in

Quote Originally Posted by DakshaMira View Post
    Ok just want to verify few of the points from your side so that I can get to know what exactly is the issue that you are encountering. So tell me are you using the Domain Connected Account? Or a local account? Or only a connected account? What is the error message that you are getting while you are trying to sign in? have you upgraded this from windows 7? If yes then are you using the same lined account in the windows 7 for the windows 8 as well? are you planning it that way, that’s what I am asking. However by that time you can also verify which connected account you are using by
    - Going to the settings and in that control panel.
    - User accounts, then manage your Pc settings.
    - In the users, you can validate your connected account is registered to your local account.
    So do come back with the replies.
    Ok here is the answer for all your questions well let me give it point wise.

- I am dam sure that I am using the connected account because I do get a option of switching to a local account.

- The error message that I get is like cant sing in with this account and in the end I get an error code Code: 0x80004005.

- When I go to the pc settings it tells me that I can switch to the local account.

- Yes I have upgraded from Windows 7 and I am trying to connect it with the same account.

Linking the same ID of the windows 7 in this account is the main cause of the problem I must say. We are investigating on this issue. Wait till we come up with some solution.

Well I have got this solution from elsewhere just give a try. Mind you it involves registry and if you end up not handling it properly then you will have to reinstall the windows 8 again. So do work on the steps very carefully. So here goes the solution for you.

1) Launch the regedit from the search charm.

2) Once done with that go to the following registry HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities and look out for the email address that was not allowing you to connect.

3) Now for each S-* under the email address check out for the keywords node.

4) In the keyword node if you only find ‘Associated' then double click on that in order to edit it and add ;Connected. Now it should appear ‘Associated;Connected’ mind you without quotes.

5) Now switch to your local account and then back to the Microsoft account.

6) Now try launching the applications that was giving you the problem. This time it should work out for you.