Thread: Windows 8 Consumer Preview apps won't open in Netbook and shows error message

Windows 8 Consumer Preview apps won't open in Netbook and shows error message

Somehow I successfully managed to install Windows 8 on my netbook but then I have noticed that apps don't open. Whenever I try to open one, it shows me an error message saying that "Screen resolution too low for this app to run". Whenever I try to change the screen resolution I got a message tell me that Screen resolution is lower than 1024x768. The app might not fit or open. In my netbook I don’t have higher resolution. Any suggestions?

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview apps won't open in Netbook and shows error message

Windows 8 should match several requirements in order to run on the system. The main requirement is about the Metro apps which should be fulfilled. However these Metro apps are not designed to open and run on any display smaller than 1024x768px. I think that the developer had to concentrate on this thing and they should give a support for every single resolution available and it is an important point which takes the significant role in Windows 8 popularity. Otherwise in future, every device which will going to integrate Windows 8 should have a resolution of at least 1024x768px

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview apps won't open in Netbook and shows error message

The Metro UI is an excellent and innovative approach for Windows platform which will supports the wide range platform including tablets, notebooks and smartphones. So now the developer does not need to rewrite their apps for different architecture every time. But now it is very disappointment it hear that Metro UI doesn't support 1024x600 screen resolution in order to run apps. So I think that netbook are lacking behind the Windows 8. In future, now user should consider buying netbook that provides a higher resolution as 1024x768.

The display requires a minimum resolution of 1366x768. If it has a lower resolution, the apps are not started. Most netbooks have a resolution of 1024x800, however.

Part of the apps do not respond if one is not online, so it has signed up over its ID or Microsoft Passport to the system. Since I am on my Live ID registration, all apps are responding in the VM. The apps should also work with a local profile but I really don’t have any reason for that yet.

I don’t think that you need to buy a separate netbook in order to display 1024x768 resolution. You can tweak with Windows registry. You have to shrink the image horizontally so that it can fit the screen resolution. To do this:
    • Go to Start <> type "Run" and push enter.
    • Type "Regedit" and again hit enter.
    • Go to "Edit" <>"Find"<> Type "Display1_DownScalingSupported" in the new message box <> click "OK".
    • There you need to replace key value from "0" to "1"
    • Again go to "Edit" <> "Find Next" and repeat the steps until all "Display1_DownScalingSupported" keys values replaced with new value.
    • Close "Regedit" and restart the system. Now you can easily set the screen resolution to 1024x800

The display requires at least 1024x768, 1366x768 as you can then use several metro apps side by side. 1024x600 is below the required 768 pixels in height. So, that is probably nothing