Thread: Help! Cannot connect to wireless after adding password

Help! Cannot connect to wireless after adding password

Hi All, (Non-technical person alert!)

I was supposed to be helping my folks out by adding a password to their wireless router, which I did with no problems. I made the connection WPA when given the option which has worked fine for all the machines in the house (an Ipad and a couple of laptops) but the old desktop upstairs has struggled and will not connect at all. It's running Windows XP service pack 3 and it had no issues before I added a password to the wireless connection.

Can anyone help solve this one?

THANKS for any help at all, it's starting to really annoy me and I keep trying things which don't seem to touch the sides!!

Smudger

Re: Help! Cannot connect to wireless after adding password

Is the windows xp machine even detecting the wireless network or so? It could be that the card or antenna might be slightly damaged somehow when it was put in the new computer, can you try to wiggle the antenna around in the back and see if it gets connected. What is the make or model of the wireless router?

Quote Originally Posted by zachary View Post
    Is the windows xp machine even detecting the wireless network or so? It could be that the card or antenna might be slightly damaged somehow when it was put in the new computer, can you try to wiggle the antenna around in the back and see if it gets connected. What is the make or model of the wireless router?
    This all happened when I added a password to the wireless connection so there was no disturbance to this machine. All the other machines seemed to accept it.

Do you think as this machine is old (and running XP service pack 3) that it's not able to cope with WPA? If so, is there a fix?

Thanks for your reply -

Such things appears because of different in wifi standards used. I think the old system that you have is working on old wifi standard which does not connect with the new one. Because of different in standard the password issue occurs. The one thing you can do is try to allow the old computer to connect your network without any authentication. You can do that from router.