Thread: Cannot install Graphics card driver in Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Cannot install Graphics card driver in Windows 8 Consumer Preview

I am now switched to Windows 8 Consumer Preview. I am using a desktop computer. After Windows 8 installation I have installed all other drivers one by one but still one driver left alone which cannot be installed in any manner. I have a graphic card (Radeon x1300 Secondary) and its drivers are not compatible with Windows 8 Consumer Preview. I really want this card to work. Now I don’t have time to install or go back to the previous version of Windows. What can I do now?

Re: Cannot install Graphics card driver in Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Did you check in the Windows compatibility center? When I searched for your graphics card there, I have got that ATI Radeon X1300 PRO DDR2 256MB Graphics Card is completely compatible with Windows 8 Consumer preview. Here is the link for the Compatibility center.

I have heard that Microsoft has been releasing several updated display drivers ever since the release of Windows 8 Developer preview and you can get these drivers via Windows Update. The updates are very helpful to solve known graphics issues. Make sure that Windows automatic update is enabled and all updates are installed properly. You might also need to get several optional updates.

I know that Windows update will have drivers for every need. But sometimes even after installing the latest drivers, the Windows updates will show that same update is available and it won’t go away until another scan of updates is done. During the second scan, while trying to install driver main fail and shows an error code 0x80070103 or error code 0x800F020B. You don’t need to worry about this error because it is a known issue on Windows 8 Consumer Preview. It means that the driver has successfully installed during the first attempt and you can run your computer without any problem. If the issue still persists with the graphics card, then you need to take a look into the GPU manufacturer’s website.

AMD has opted instead to present a specific driver for Windows 8, available for 32bit as 64bit. In this case, the driver, Catalyst version 8.93.7 RC10, implement support for the Radeon HD 5000 series onwards, including mobile solutions and APU. But lacks compatibility with the new video card Radeon HD 7900 and Radeon HD 7700,

The fact is, the Windows compatibility center may show you that, this ATI Radeon X1300 graphics card is compatible with Windows 8 but I don’t think that there are any compatible drivers available in order to work in Windows 8 consumer preview. The AMD might have released Windows 8 drivers for its graphics card but they are compatible with latest range cards.

Yes I also don’t think that there is any drivers exist for your graphics card. Right now I am using only ati radeon x1200 and right now only one driver available for that. That drive is only compatible with Windows vista. The Windows update might install some drivers but it will not work properly. In ATI website, you may get Beta driver but I don’t think that that card is supported. You should try installing the normal driver in windows 7 compatibility mode. It might work fine.