Thread: Windows 8 Consumer Preview Tablet screen brightness keep changing unexpectedly

Windows 8 Consumer Preview Tablet screen brightness keep changing unexpectedly

Right now I am running Windows 8 Consumer preview in my Tablet PC. Running fine with all features and functionality included. But the screen brightness is kept on changing without any reasons and it happens unexpectedly. Does anyone know why it is happening like that?

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview Tablet screen brightness keep changing unexpectedly

This is an operating system feature in effect, which probably will be accompanied by precise specification of the type of sensors used on the devices. In fact, the biggest complication seems to be the one to offer the feature is not on one specific hardware, but on a wider range, although Redmond will light poles.

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview Tablet screen brightness keep changing unexpectedly

I have seen that some model tablets include an adaptive brightness sensor which will help you to detect the current and background brightness in your surrounding and depending on that brightness, tablet will adjusts the screen's brightness accordingly. So if the light sensing from the sensor is constantly changing, then it will lower the brightness of the screen. It is some kind of new feature in Windows 8 and it is enabled by default. We called it as the adaptive brightness setting. However you can disable it whenever you want. To do this:
    • Go to Start Screen, type Control Panel and open the Control Panel.
    • From the “Set the View by” dropdown, choose Category
    • Now select Hardware and Sound.> Power Options> Change plan settings> Change advanced power settings
    • Now from the list Expand Display and Expand Enable adaptive brightness
    • Alter the setting and make it as OFF and finally click on OK.

In Windows 8 consumer Preview, the latest addition is support for sensors to be mounted on devices based on this platform, which will represent an important new element in the economy of the operating system. Windows 8 will be able to support many sensors and combine information from them in order to improve the user experience especially in mobility. A first example of the potential of Windows 8 is supplied from the support to light sensors, which will be able to automatically detect the intensity level of the external light of adapting the brightness of the display: in this way it will be possible, therefore, is to improve the reading on the tablet, and significantly reduce energy consumption.

Once I had the same problem with my Windows 7 tablet in which I have recently installed the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. I was using EXOPC Slate. The brightness was fine but when I changed the power settings, everything turns to automatic. The brightness was changing automatically now. After few days I have installed latest driver from manufacturer and it fixed the problem

Microsoft claims that intelligently manage the backlight of the display may provide better results in terms of energy savings, and this consideration is even more interesting considering that the maximum brightness of the display tablet and notebook computers has increased over the last year. Obviously we didn't faced any kind of problem with this option in the past, but many PCs used to have solutions when the light sensors did not interact directly with the operating system.