Thread: Windows 8 cannot recognize DVD drive

Windows 8 cannot recognize DVD drive

I have installed the DVD drive on a windows 8 computer and it can also boot from the DVD but problem is that when I start the system and Windows get loaded then Windows 8 failed to recognize the drive. Can somebody tell me that how can I obtain the drivers which are loaded for this version of the windows. If I insert the Windows 8 DVD to the drive and restart the computer and avoid the option that prompts for boot from CD then I can see the drive get recognized without any problem. Now it is visible until I restart the computer. I mean if I restart the PC without Windows 8 CD in then it get disappeared again. I cannot understand that what is wrong with this and how can I get it solved. If someone of you can tell me some way to get it resolved then I will really appreciate that.

Re: Windows 8 cannot recognize DVD drive

You can try with the following steps and see if that can help you with this or not.
    1. Open command prompt as administrator and type “cmd” within Windows 8 Metro UI and press ctrl + shift + enter.
    2. After this, just type the
    3. Type following and say enter reg.exe and then add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    4. Restart your computer.
    5. Check if this solves the problem for you or not

GOOD LUCK!!!

Thank you so mubch for the quick reply on this. But can you please tell me that from where I can get to the command prompt. I am new to this a nd don’t know this things. Thank you again for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoli View Post
    Thank you so mubch for the quick reply on this. But can you please tell me that from where I can get to the command prompt. I am new to this a nd don’t know this things. Thank you again for your reply.
    If you are having problem to open the command prompt or If you are getting some error message like “Access Denied” then you can just type “cmd” from the home screen and then right click on that and select “Run as administrator”. After this you can follow the steps as already mentioned. I am posting the alternate method for this as I have seen that there are many of the users who are facing problem in opening the command prompt and getting some random error messages. I hop[e that this will be helpful to you and all of those users as well.

The above given steps are very correct and this will work to get the issue resolved but the most important thing while doing this is to keep in mind that you have logged in as Administrator and if you have not logged in as admin then the commands give n in the steps will not work and you will get some error messages.

If this would be the case with me then I will first run sfc /scannow and see if this helps to solve the problem or not. If that fails to work then I would go for a repair install with the help of the installation disc.

There is one more alternate thing that you can try in this case and that is, from the desktop move the cursor to the bottom right of the screen and then right click over there. When you do that then you will get one list with one of the items as 'Command Prompt (Admin) '. Select that and on the UAC, select yes and it will let you to the admin command prompt. Now, here you will be able to type Registry patch otherwise you can also copy paste that directly. This is the simplest method that I prefer for this and I hope that you will also find this useful.

Go to the device manager and see if it is listed there or not. If it is listed with the yellow mark then there are more chances that this is problem with the driver. Updating the driver might solve the problem for you.