Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012

File systems: Greatest common factor

I'm trying to find common ground between Windows (XP), Linux (Ubuntu) and eComStation (=OS/2 Warp 4.50). What filesystems can be used for the compatibility partition, i.e. such partition every opsys can read and write? I think eCS does HPFS, JFS and probably FAT12/16, Linux besides its native etx#s, several (even HPFS), and XP NTFS, FAT12/16/32. Any others?
Old 11-04-2012

Re: File systems: Greatest common factor

There are rare chances where you can share a common partition among this three different operating system. First the most common example I can give you is of a usb drive. This usb drive is normally detected as Fat32 in Windows and it is also detected by Linux and Mac systems. If we talk about a valid partition which consist of a mbr or other stuff then cross compatibility does not work at all. There are common partition between Linux and Mac and Linux and Windows.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , ,