Thread: Want to install ubuntu on powermac g5

Want to install ubuntu on powermac g5

Hello,

I am having a PowerMac G5 at my place and I am trying to install Ubuntu on it. But when I am trying to install this operating system on this machine then I am getting an error message that states "Your system is running low graphics mode". I have the latest drivers installed in my mac so why is it giving me graphics error? Is there anyone who can help me out? Thanks

Re: Want to install ubuntu on powermac g5

Can you tell us which graphics card you have installed in your Powermac G5? If you have a nvidia card then you will need to go to nvidia website and download the latest drivers for your graphics card. Similarly if you have Amd graphics card then visit amd website and install it on your machine. You can also try to go to software sources and click on the additional drivers tab and check if drivers are available or not.

Even I am facing the same problems with my old Powermac G5 computer which is using Geforce 6600 graphics card. When I am trying to install the Ubuntu 13.04 then it stops at the same point with the error message. I can install and run Ubuntu 12.04 in low graphics mode but office application fails to work. There is also no Nvidia drivers for PowerPC? Is there any other method? Thanks

You will need to fist download the latest ubuntu version from the Ubuntu Download Page here that has the iso file which comes with the operating system. After that you need to burn the iso file to a usb using Unetbootin, that runs fine on Windows, linux and mac. You can search and download the mac version easily by googling it. Once the burning is done, insert the usb stick and boot from it and change the boot order making usb stick as bootable from your bios and then start the installation.

Me too

G5 - 2.7ghz with 2 internal Hard drives one with OS10.5.8 (the last update for it I believe) the other internal HD is empty it has 3 gig of ram

I have Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.0.4 i38 - cd's that worked fine last May on another mac which may have been an Intel

Holding down ce gives me zip
    Holding down Alt doesnt lead to it showng up

I tried the internal cd drive and 2 external firwire cd/dvd burners one is Sony one is Pioneer which is Mac friendly

No show

I have never done terminal work or Linux but wish
    to move into Linux with a GUI - hence Ubuntu

Im stumped - the cd's dont verify under OS x disk but show on the desktop

I have searched forums for hard 12 hours and found a few terminal lines here and there to make it boot from the ubuntu cd but dont think it was saved properly after it asked me for the password. Wondered if my internal superdrive and external firewire drives are all wrong for this task?

Glas to have found this thread though - cheers

Hi - ian r,

I think that you will need to install Ubuntu on the primary system disk. This requires repartitioning the hard drives and doing a clean install of OS X. You can't install it on a firewire disk unless you use Parallels.

In the Morning to you Einstein
    relatively speaking that is!

in case of any mistake at all
    a. The Ubuntu disks are not on firewire hard drives but external burners

b.The install is brand new as I only got this from eBay 2 days ago and I dont have the 10.5.8 discs only 10.6 which wont load of course! and 10.3 which was original sold with it.

c.Neither do I have good web access 512/256 max due rural locale

d.I didnt partitition the system drive with OSX disk Utility -

e.However - and this is my ? - isnt my problem that the Ubunu installer and splash screen isnt happening? As I understand it does the partitioning if needed

Your advice sounds like it happens after Ubuntu startup screens are in sight

Im not getting them

Am I understanding your advice correctly?

Thanks muchly for your thoughts

Can you try to hold ALT and boot off a firewire hard drive. (This isn't tested or in any way guarenteed, I don't have a second HDD via firewire to test.) If you can get a second hard drive to boot, then that's that. But if not, GRUB may be able to do it. (You would hold ALT, select a CD as boot up drive, have it boot up the second hard drive).
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

Ubuntu 10 11 etc will not supported or running on New Worl PowerPC G4 G5 chips

OK Im finding the info 11.04 wont install on a PowerPC G5 or a G4 Powermac because it isnt supported by that release. These are called New World PowerPC's as opposed to Oldeworld PPC such as 7200, performas and such like

Ubuntu doesnt support it officially but there is a a community supporting it. I dont knw about that community but thats what is said

Xubuntu Lubuntu Debian are the Linuxes I know about that do support PowerPC Mac

However I cant download here as Im om 256 max speed living rurally so I have to find which ones are most active and likely to be supported into the future

I only know of Ubuntu but here we go not even running Linux yet and alraedy into deepness beyond the call etc