Thread: Gentoo: Apache not able to write to the NFS folder, showing file size zero every time.

Gentoo: Apache not able to write to the NFS folder, showing file size zero every time.

Recently I have mounted a folder from the Server 1to Server 2 to the media folder which was placed in document root of the Apache web server and it was installed on Server 2. When Apache is supposed to write the file to where the folder has been mounted there is no content has been written in the file. I am getting file size to zero. Do you aware of any specific solution to fix the matter let me know as early as possible.

Re: Gentoo: Apache not able to write to the NFS folder, showing file size zero every time.

After going through the problem which you have stated over here I am suspecting that you are getting an issue with Unix permissions. You will need to edit the files manually on your computer. if you have installed Ubuntu on your computer then you have to edit editing /etc/apache2/envvars and make following changes APACHE_RUN_USER and APACHE_RUN_GROUP to the user and group of yours.
    After that you have to run’ /etc/init.d/apache2 restart ‘.
    Let me know whether the above mentioned thing is working or not.

Re: Gentoo: Apache not able to write to the NFS folder, showing file size zero every time.

Hey thanks a lot for the prompt replies of yours. I have installed CentOS 5.4 and I was not able to locate the files which you have stated over here. I tried to edit the above mentioned thing from apache config file. But when I tried to start Apache it was prompting with below mentioned error message.
    Error:\tApache has not been designed to serve pages while\n\trunning as root. There are known race conditions that\n\twill allow any local user to read any file on the system.\n\tIf you still desire to serve pages as root then\n\tadd -DBIG_SECURITY_HOLE to the CFLAGS env variable\n\tand then rebuild the server.\n\tIt is strongly suggested that you instead modify the User\n\tdirective in your httpd.conf file to list a non-root\n\tuser.\n

To get the better idea of the problem I would like to have log file. So I recommend that you should move to /var/log/httpd/error.log directory and post if you are having any log file.

To test the situation whether Apache is able to write or not. You should log in to Apache and writing the test file.
    You can do that by using below mentioned code.
    Code:
    su - www -s /bin/bash
    once you have done you have to write the test file to the NFS share.

Again I wanted to say thanks a lot for helping me out. I was able to create the file by using the command touch. In fact I am not able to edit and save the content of the file by using VI editor. Is there any way to set the permission for apache so that it can write to that particular partition.

Ok I got the thing the issue which you have mentioned over here is not happening because of the write permission. Since you was able to write to the partition by using vi. So there is nothing to do with user permission.

Do you checked selinux?
    Code:
    sestatus
    in case it is enabled then you should try to setting permissive and try the same again by using following.
    Code:
    setenforce permissive
    you should try it on both the server as well as client.