Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 26-02-2012

How to boot Gentoo Linux in text mode

After the update of the Gentoo linux I think that I have lost the access of the keyboard and mouse in X. Now I want to boot the system in text mode so that I can easily troubleshoot the problem. Does anyone know how to do it in Gentoo. I have seen it in other Linux Distribution. So I am thinking the same here.
Old 26-02-2012

Re: How to boot Gentoo Linux in text mode

What you are asking is to boot into level 3? Actually there are few ways to do that. In that the first one is edit /etc/inittab and reboot
Code:
# Default runlevel.id:3:initdefault:
The second method is in grub, pass the kernel option:
Code:
init=3
Old 26-02-2012

This is not necessary. In order to boot in text mode, you can also specify the run level without altering the bootloader config file. Try to add ' 1' to the kernel options (number one). This will make the system to boot into runlevel 1 (single-user "fix it" mode). However if you make it to 3, it will boot into multi-user network mode.
Old 26-02-2012

Gentoo starts X Windows automatically, probably with the Gnome display manager (GDM), the K display manager (KDM), or the X display manager (XDM). On Gentoo systems run levels 2 through 5 are, by default, equal. Surely you have chosen during installation startup graphic runlevels 2 through 5 will begin with graphical login.
Old 01-03-2012

There are not many LiveCD without X server. The minimalCD gentoo contains just enough to install, but install an LFS or gentoo from a system already installed on HDD, it's more fun than a LiveCD, which is slower to load and use.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , , , ,