Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 26-02-2012

Configure onboard & USB audio devices using ALSA in Gentoo Linux

I want to configure the integrated and USB devices properly on Gentoo Linux using ALSA but the problem is I didn?t get the proper guide to solve the problem. Does anyone know how setup both of these things? First of all I want to make USB DAC default output and dmix works for default device.
Old 26-02-2012

Re: Configure onboard & USB audio devices using ALSA in Gentoo Linux

Beforehand, Gentoo provided 2 ways to run ALSA driver within the kernel as well as the external package alsa-driver. The fact is, the 2 solutions were essentially identical, this made supporting the external package really difficult and took more time. The Gentoo maintainers then agreed to stop the support for alsa-driver package and concentrating only on their resources regarding the ALSA drivers made within the Linux kernel.
Old 26-02-2012

I am also a Debian user except I have insight about ALSA. Did you try "alsactl init" in order to accept the defaults and rebooted system. Me too continued to have insufficiencies which were corrected by installing "esound"; "esound-clients", in addition to "alsamixergui".
Old 01-03-2012

First, you need to know what the necessary drivers for your sound card are. In most cases, sound cards (integrated and otherwise) are PCI based and lspci will help you find the information. To emerge sys-apps/pciutils to get lspci, if not already installed. If you have a USB sound card, lsusb from sys-apps/usbutils might be helpful. For ISA cards, try using sys-apps/isapnptools. After that you can configure the kernel to enable ALSA.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , , ,