Thread: unable to access USB devices after login as standard user in Slackware Linux

unable to access USB devices after login as standard user in Slackware Linux

I have installed Slackware Linux 13.37 In my computer and after installing that in my computer I am facing problem with it. Now in my computer I am not able to access USB device after login as standard user. If anyone have solution for this then let me know.

Re: unable to access USB devices after login as standard user in Slackware Linux

Well according to me you should have entry in the “/etc/fstab file” for partition of external drive so that you will be able to access to other users. As far as I know Slackware has a command which is useful for standard user to access USB media devices. You have to try this command ” mount /media/memory1” and after that you will be able to see partition. I hope this information will be helpful for you.

Re: unable to access USB devices after login as standard user in Slackware Linux

Thank you for helping me. I have tried the solution which is mentioned in above post but that does not helped me to solve this problem. Now after that I have also tried to search solution on internet but I didn’t get any help. Now please tell me what should I do to solve this problem?

Well I was also searching for solution regarding this problem and I have find the solution to enable non-root user to access USB device. You need to do following changes in the file /etc/group.

wheel : x:10:root,rafael
    audio : x:17:rafael
    cdrom : x:19:rafael
    plugdev : x:83:rafel
    now after that you will be able to solve this problem.

You to also edit /etc/login.defs file with this line

“CONSOLE_GROUPS floppy:audio:cdrom:video:scanner:plugdev”

I was having same problem and then i have tried this solution and my problem get solved. You should also try this solution.