Thread: Keyboard doesn't work in Mint Linux

Keyboard doesn't work in Mint Linux

this is really very frustrating . it been took almost like 5 to 6 time to installed the Mint Linuxon my pc and now finally when I got it right the keyboard is not working now don’t know what the problem is but I can run it on the windows 7 and Ubuntu. Works OK live from DVD. Is there anyone here can help me on this I will be really appreciate this

thanks in advance

Re: Keyboard doesn't work in Mint Linux

Hey can you tell me what is your machine desktop or laptop? If a desktop and you make use of a USB keyboard as well as mouse, do you have PS/2 ports accessible for keyboard and mouse? a few have tried that and establish it to work, at least for the keyboard. A USB to PS2 adapter is cheap and actually not difficult to find. Hopefully there is a improved long term solution to this issue . checked with Mint Update to see if an update would resolve the problems?

I might try using the Mint 32-bit Live CD plus see if that has problem . I as well try a 64-bit Ubuntu Live CD. I have kind of random luck by Linux drivers - I skip Ubuntu 9.10 for the reason that it dropped the video and Wi-Fi drivers, and the sound driver was all screwed up a lots of static . although you will suppose that keyboard drivers might be fairly simple. Then I also doubt if your keyboard is starting to find flakey.

Well I need to know that what type of keyboard are you using like the USB or PS/2, please provide this detail so that I can help you out of your problem . I you have the USB, . it s look like correct module might not be loading at boot time.

I don’t think this is the hardware related issue . if you have other or spare keyboard to see of that is working to know if it is the hardware problem try both on different USB ports if it is a USB keyboard . then if the keyboard has the issue then you can buy the new keyboard .

Sorry I havnt give any detail before but I am installing the mint on my Dell Latitude D600 and I am pretty sure that it is not the hardware issue as I have already checked it during the installation , but this keyboard is not working now please help .

I am not sure on the modules specifically within Mint. The mint is based on the Ubuntu and that is based on the Debian based Linux OS. What I suggest you is to try testing with an external keyboard and see if that is working or not . or you if possible get the earlier version if the MINT . the nee driver is bundled in with the newer kernels so may be the earlier version may bug-free keyboard driver for the D600 see if all this help and report back it that help

Hey i need to know that did you tried the Ubuntu 11.10 on which the Mint Is based on . is the keyboard is working on that and if yes then probably work with Mint 11. Just try an earlier Mint version. See if the K/board worked ok on Ubuntu 11.04.

Well I have taken your advice and yes the keyboard work on the Ubuntu 11.04 now I guess that the OS is not correctly installed so I will have to reinstalled the Mint again.