Thread: Failed login in GMD

Failed login in GMD

I have installed gnome and GMD in my system. As a default setting, I have set it to start as soon as my system starts. It works fine till this stage. But when I try to login, it doesn’t allow me to access. I tried accessing as root user as well as a guest user, but both my attempts failed. Can anybody help me getting access in my system?

Re: Failed login in GMD

If this is the problem, you can set GMD to automatic login. To enable automatic login you need to add the following shellscript to the /etc/gdm/custom.conf. The shellscript will be as,
    # Enable automatic login for user
    [daemon]
    AutomaticLogin=username
    AutomaticLoginEnable=True
    For automatic login with a delay you can again use the shellscript given below,
    [daemon]
    # for login with delay
    TimedLoginEnable=true
    TimedLogin=username
    TimedLoginDelay=1

You can also set access in GMD with Passwordless login. To create such access, add following lines to /etc/pam.d/gdm. The shellscript is, auth sufficient pam_succeed_if.so user ingroup nopasswdlogin. This method bypasses the password asked by login system.This line should be typed before the first line, that is, "pam_unix.so" in the original file. After this is done, add a new group to your system by name nopasswrdlogin. Do nt attempt this if you are logged in using root user account.

If you are using GRUB, then you can access GMD by skipping the GMD login screen and being in single user mode. To do this one has to enter letter ‘e’ for editing as the startup screen is loading. Once in the editing mode of OS, find the kernel that is to be edited. In the kernel, select kernel line to edit. At the end of that line, add Single. Press enter and then escape to exit the editing mode and reboot again to load GMD in single user mode.

At the login screen you can press ctrl+alt+F1 to use as a root user. Now create a new normal user. Then you can start gnome. In Gnome, press ctrl+alt+F7 to access GUI modification. In this mode you can create your own .initrc for execution of custom made gui programs.