Thread: Getting error 1297 on Windows 8 preview related to audio service failure

Getting error 1297 on Windows 8 preview related to audio service failure

I had recently installed Windows 8 Developer Preview on my system. Here it looks that my system is working fine but there is no sound at all. I am not able to figure out what is the issue with sound. There is no audio icon on the system tray. I had tried to play music in vlc also but it is not working. When I try to enable audio through msconfig I am getting a "error error 1297: A privilege that to facilitate the service necessitate functioning appropriately does not exist in the service account configuration."What to do to fix the issue.

There can be two reason for this problem. First there can be some issue with the hardware. It might be damage due to which you are getting issue or there can be some problem with the media player. You can try re-installing the drivers once again fix the issue. Right click on My Computer > Manage > and go in Device Manager. Look for the sound devices. If there is yellow exclamation mark on the same then you can fix that through drivers, but if it is not visible then it is damage.

I got the issue on my gigabyte motherboard. It was working fine but suddenly the lan and audio stopped working. I had gone with tons of fresh drivers updates but nothing worked. I am stuck with a choice here. Whether to go with a new board or I can go ahead adding a pci card for both. Yet I had not decided. It can be a hardware trouble. If you are unable to get rid of this issue then the only thing you can do is buy a separate audio card and test that.

Re: Getting error 1297 on Windows 8 preview related to audio service failure

Quote Originally Posted by vedfolnir View Post
    try this

first, run as administrator.
    second, run command: "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose".

good luck

This worked for me! Thank you, this was very annoying