Thread: Want help to dual boot linux mint 12 with windows 7

Want help to dual boot linux mint 12 with windows 7

I am looking to dual boot Linux Mint 12 along with Windows 7 in my computer. I have disabled fast boot and secure boot and have also reserved 20gb hard drice space. But when ever I start my computer then only Windows will start and grub doesnt come up. I have already tried to run boot-repair with the proper settings many times but that doesnt work for me. What other things should I do to solve this issue? Thanks

Re: Want help to dual boot linux mint 12 with windows 7

To have a trouble free dual boot system first of all install Windows and then leave empty space for Linux-mint. After that you need to install the linux mint operating system in empty space and then install grub that overwrites MBR. After that run sudo update-grub. This update-grub is ubuntu or mint script to automatically find other operating system installed on your computer and then adds them to grub.

Re: Want help to dual boot linux mint 12 with windows 7

I would first recommend you to backup any important data in your computer. After that create enough unallocated space for Linux Mint 12 on the hard drive. After that boot from the Gnome Linux Mint 12 DVD or CD. Now in the Allocate drive space, choose something else. Now create an EXT4 partition for Mint and use / for Mount Point. Make the Swap partition and use swap area for Mount Point. Or otherwise, create another EXT4 partition for your data - use /home for Mount Point. Go to Device for boot loader installation and then choose the Mint EXT4 partition, like /dev/sda3 or /dev/sdb1. After that install Linux Mint 12. After installation boot to Windows and download EasyBCD 2.1 utility and install it and then add Linux/BSD (select GRUB2) to the Windows boot loader menu.

I will suggest you to read some refrence about how to install linux mint 12 with windows 7 in dual boot in your computer from here http://www.linuxmint.com/documentati...nglish_5.0.pdf. With the help of Grub which is a boot loader you will be able to boot into a specific operating szstem by listing them out alond side their partition. You might have missed something actually in the installation which is not able to find the Windows installation.