Thread: Upgrading to Linux Enterprise ES5, need some help!

Upgrading to Linux Enterprise ES5, need some help!

Guys hello, I own a small office in Mumbai and I have a server which I want to upgrade it to Linux Enterprise ES5 now on taking some help from the professionals they suggested me the following configuration

Configurable- HP ProLiant ML110 G7 LFF Non Hot-Plug Server
    HP ProLiant ML110 G7 Server
    Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1220 (3.10GHz, 8MB, 80W)
    HP 8GB PC3-10600E 2x4GB 2Rank Memory
    HP Embedded 4 Port SATA Controller
    HP 250GB 3G SATA Non-Hot Plug 7,200rpm 3.5-inch ETY Hard Drive - 1-year warranty)
    HP 16X Half-Height SATA DVD RW Optical Drive
    HP Embedded NC112i Gigabit Server Adapter
    HP Power Supply 350W Micro-ATX Kit
    Integrated Lights Out 3 (iLO 3) Management

Now I did consult a software company in the process to help me out with this one and they said the total round figure for this would be anywhere around Rs.2 lakhs I.N.R. can you all believe it? I don’t want to spend so much amount on this as I think they are cheating me. So just want to do it for myself by bring that server. So can you all tell me how would I be able to do that on my own, any ideas then please share it with me. I am waiting for your response.

Re: Upgrading to Linux Enterprise ES5, need some help!

Dude for a price of Rs.36K you would be getting a whole new server and if you ask me the price of a redhat linux ES5 then you will be able to get for a price of Rs.23,367. So if you all can buy the rest of the products on your own then there will be some difference in the price definitely. Not much but yes there would be some difference. By the way I just want to know what was the reason why are you moving away from your current server?

smile Re: Upgrading to Linux Enterprise ES5, need some help!

Quote Originally Posted by Baako View Post
    Dude for a price of Rs.36K you would be getting a whole new server and if you ask me the price of a redhat linux ES5 then you will be able to get for a price of Rs.23,367. So if you all can buy the rest of the products on your own then there will be some difference in the price definitely. Not much but yes there would be some difference. By the way I just want to know what was the reason why are you moving away from your current server?
    Well my current server works good no issues about that only the DVD backup drive does not work at all. So that’s the problem. How much will it cost to replace the backup DVD drive? The software company people told me it will take around $500 to replace it, what do you all think?

No it will not take so much, just replace the DVD drive and you will be fine with it. Just to add to the confusion you haven’t mentioned anything about the config that you are using for the server. So how can I tell you how to go ahead with the procedure?

Dude while setting up a server there are several factors that needs to be counted and let me tell you something about them

- You should have a Progress Database License otherwise you cant operate your server.
    - A backup utility
    - Integration of hardware and software and check if it is working properly or not.

So on addition to the server you should work on the following things that I have given here. see if your existing server has a good config then you can very well change the OS and also replace the corrupt dvd drive with another new one and that will solve the problem for you.