Thread: Can I use Calibri font in Ubuntu?

Can I use Calibri font in Ubuntu?

I think that the title is enough to explain that what I want to ask. I am wondering for some way to get the Calibri font in the Ubuntu in the same way as I use it with the Windows. I really like this font and wish that I could use the same on the Ubuntu as well. If you are having idea regarding this then please let me know that. I will be thankful to all the replies for this.

Re: Can I use Calibri font in Ubuntu?

Yes, this is possible to use. New ClearType fonts form Microsoft is really great. This is having the fonts like Constantia, Corbel, Calibri, Cambria, Candara and Consolas. This can be installed on the Ubuntu. In order to install that on the Ubuntu, you will have to install the cabextract first. I hope that this will be helpful to you.

ClearType font technology makes the text as clear and bright on the screen than on a printed document. To take full advantage of ClearType, you must have a flat panel monitor quality, such as an LCD or plasma. Even on a CRT monitor text readability with ClearType increases significantly. To use ClearType, you must have a video card and monitor that support a setting of at least 256 colors. For best results you should support the color depth to 24 bits or 32 bits.

Font Installer FontInstall is used to install / uninstall fonts in a click: choose a font from the catalog, the application takes care of everything.

Ubuntu and the suite LibreOffice included in the distribution are certainly very rich font to enhance your documents. However, some improvement it can be always obtained. The first step is to install the Microsoft fonts, excluded from the standard setup. Because of the lack of Microsoft fonts or some other font, it could lead to incorrect display of some document when it is exchanged between two different computers, one of which is devoid of the font used.

One of the most pleasant and interesting of the latest Ubuntu release, without a doubt the introduction of the default font Canonical staff. The only thing still missing from the growing family was certainly the Ubuntu font Monospace. The wait is finally over and even though this variant has been made available and should even become the default font in terminal Oneiric Ubuntu 11.10.

As far as I know that there is no way to install some other font in this. Ofcourse there are some illegal ways for this but that is really not recommended. You are bound to work with the default fonts provided in this. I hope that new fonts will be available for this soon.

Yes, this is not possible to make use of the MS font because there is the license amendment within the download page and according to that: "You may use the fonts that accompany the PowerPoint Viewer only to display and print content from a device running a Microsoft Windows operating system.”