Thread: How to make nautilus queue up the file operations in Ubuntu?

How to make nautilus queue up the file operations in Ubuntu?

I am facing lots of problem while coping a large number of files from an external device to my Ubuntu system; also the problem is while coping them internally.

Whenever I try to copy a file from one folder to another, the task is completely smoothly but when I try to copy another file to the same path at the same time where the first file is being copied, the file transferring operation becomes too slow and some time hangs up. I can’t wait for the first file to get copied completely in order to copy another one as my job is almost related to coping and transferring files from one place to another. Please suggest me with some tricks where I can directly queue up the other file which is to be copied following the current file being copied. However I want nautilus to queue up the following process instead of messing up the disk.

Re: How to make nautilus queue up the file operations in Ubuntu?

Hey even I was in such requirement. From last 1 month even I insisted many people to recommend me with some trick to queue up the process in nautilus. I also contacted the tech support people regarding the issue. But one of the person said that they are currently not supporting queuing file operations.

They also told me even if I need such thing then I will have to patch libnautilus/nautilus-file-operations.[ch].

I can’t believe this. How come it is possible that Ubuntu has no such idea or technique in order to queue up the file coping process in nautilus? I thought there might be some feature developed or existing for this issue with Ubuntu, friends let me tell you, even windows has such kind of functionality in it. No matter whether have it with as a 3rd party application.

Is it that the developers of Ubuntu do not want to queue up of the file coping operation, also wanted to know that why they didn’t list this feature as a standard feature till now. I would pleasingly request the tech team to get a built in file operation queue system.

Instead of depending on the developer or the tech support team just find out the solution by yourself that could incorporate into Nautilus. Even I was in search of such feature from past 2 months consulting the tech support people but they never responded and thereafter I decided to get a solution by myself and then I came up with some alternative file copier that could support file transferring using the queuing up support.

You can choose either of the two which I am suggesting:
    • Ultracopier
    • MiniCopier

Yeah that’s a great idea which even I would have suggested you go for. But if asked me about the best one amongst two above mentioned file copier than I would have went for Ultracopier. It’s fast and efficient.

It is free and open source software that acts as a replacement for files copy dialogs. The main and the most interesting feature of it is that it can support multiple file transfer at a time in a queue without freezing.

Its main features are:
    • It has play and pause option
    • It also has speed limitation
    • On-error resume
    • It can manage error and collision
    • You can download its current version 0.2.0.16, and I guess not only for Ubuntu but also it is compatible for other OS.

I guess MiniCopier is also not the least one. In fact currently I am using the same one in my system and I am seriously very much impressed.

For you convenience i would like to give some interesting and best features of MiniCopier:
    • Keeps on transferring one after another
    • Add another new file to the queue while a copy is already being processed
    • It can also cause a copy
    • Can also limit the speed of the copy
    • Skip current transfer to proceed to the next one
    • Resume a copy at the exact point where it failed (no need to start over)