Thread: Gnome Shell crashes due to Themes

Gnome Shell crashes due to Themes

I am getting some problem with the Gnome Shell. Yesterday it crashed two times without warning. When Gnome crashes, everything vanishes from the Desktop but I can use only those apps which are open and running. But there is no way I can perform close/minimize/maximize action on it. This is because there is no Top Bar. To make it correct, I had to reboot the system. Furthermore it doesn’t allow me to access the terminal when gnome crashes.
    I have installed Gnome-Shell 3.2. And several extensions:
    • User theme
    • Extended Places Status Indicator
    • Media Player Indicator
    • Application Menu
    • Temperature and Weather Indicator

Re: Gnome Shell crashes due to Themes

I had the same kind problem and it looks similar. I was using the Unity. The issue was happening when I was editing compiz settings. When Compiz restarts, everything was same as you mentioned in your post. There was no way I can get it back and I cannot even log off. I had to reboot my computer. However now I urge you to reset compiz profile entirely and begin with the fresh settings again.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAHAR View Post
    I had the same kind problem and it looks similar. I was using the Unity. The issue was happening when I am editing compiz settings. When Compiz restarts, everything will be same as you mentioned in your post. There is no way I can get it back and I cannot even log off. I had to reboot my computer. To solve the issue I urge you to reset compiz profile entirely and begin with the fresh settings again.
    It seems to me that one of you extensions causing the Gnome to crash. If so, then it is probably user theme extension. I am telling this because my friend had same kind of problem with this extension. After removing this, everything becomes normal. Many users complaining that there are several bugs in third-party themes which is causing the issue.

In my case the gnome shell crashes only during the certain action. It usually happens when I try to change the theme to other or from default to some other. If I go into activities overview and start typing, I can experience the crash. To solve this, display running gnome processes using:
    Code:
    ps x | grep gnome
    Next thing is to kill gnome-session:
    Code:
    kill -9 "process number"
    In the above code the process number is the process ID. Do not add the Double Quotes.

This issue has been confirmed in Ubuntu Unity. The reports saying that some themes installed for Gnome 3 / GTK 3 can cause more damage. I tried installing some third party themes and they messed up the Entire unity. So I had to reset everything to get it back. The applications which are still open, you can do work but sometimes it renders the whole app and turns out to be completely unusable.

I have solution for you. If your system crash, open the tty (alt + ctrl + F1), log in. Kill the Gnome process and then type
    Code:
    gnome-shell -d :0 --replace
    This command will open the gnome-shell on the standard X display. There “—replace” option is used to replace existing window manager. But now the system does not look normal and it won’t work properly. Themes no longer work at all. But the advantage is you can still able to safely close all apps without losing your data. Then you can safely reboot.