Thread: How can I get function keys to work without pressing "fn" in ubuntu 10.10

How can I get function keys to work without pressing "fn" in ubuntu 10.10

I have recently started using ubuntu 10.10 in my MacBook and I am willing to get the F1-F12 function keys play their normal role but then I also want to use them as media/volume/brightness say another role from their normal or primary role, just wanted to know if it is possible if how then please let me know.

Re: How can I get function keys to work without pressing "fn" in ubuntu 10.10

I have recently started using ubuntu 10.10 in my MacBook and I am willing to get the F1-F12 function keys play their normal role but then I also want to use them as media/volume/brightness say another role from their normal or primary role, just wanted to know if it is possible if how then please let me know.
    I have not yet tried the same out but then I don’t think that setting the shortcuts manually in the "keyboard shortcuts" section will work in the way you are willing to get it work, but then I am not very sure about the same, I think that you are trying to do two opposite things.

I think that there should be a way to do so, I mean that I have used mac os x and there we just have to ticking a box in order to get this functionality, I mean that using fn keys as F1-F12 and not just as the media keys, is there anyone who has tried out the same by now?? I would have tried out but then as I have said that I have started using ubuntu now and I don’t have much idea about the same by now. Is there anyone who can help me out??

I think that I was only the one who is searching for this functionality I am using UniWhiteBook and I really need it and I have been looking after a solution for the same but then I have not yet got a success, I am still looking after the same and will let you know as well if I find out a solution.

You can do that and for that follow the below solution:
    • First install the pommed_1.31~dfsg-1_amd64.deb but then it is available for 64 bit, so just download the same and then install it.
    • After that just change the value of fnmod in /etc/pommed.conf to 1 and then just restart the pommed using the below command and then you are done:

sudo /etc/init.d/pommed restart
    Just try it out and then let me know if it helps.

I have tried out the same but then I don’t think that it is just not helping, is there anything else that I can try out? Any further help for the same will be appreciated.

I have tried out the same but then I don’t think that it is just not helping, is there anything else that I can try out? Any further help for the same will be appreciated.
    I am having a Macbook Pro 6.2and I have got the above solution to be working by just changing the value of fnmod in /etc/pommed.conf to 2 and now it is working fine like the way you too are searching for, just check it out and see if it is helping you or not.