Thread: Installing Ubuntu on the Mac Mini 2011

Installing Ubuntu on the Mac Mini 2011

Need to ask you all that anyone here who had installed Ubuntu on the Mac Mini . while I installed it on my virtual box and the problem I am facing is it is not detecting the graphic card and with the unity desktop I am getting error that it will not load my hardware for graphic driver check . I am thing as I am using ADM graphic it will detect the additional driver. However there is no luck so far. Can anyone here help me on this I would be really glad to know this.

Re: Installing Ubuntu on the Mac Mini 2011

The installation went without problems. But there are two questions:
    1. Long pause (20-30 seconds) between turning on the computer and start loading the OS.
    2. Reboot does not work. All processes are completed, but new computer is not start like it should .
    This is not fatal, but uncomfortable.
    Can anyone help in this issue?

I recently purchased a Mac Mini Mid 2011. I am trying desperately to install a Ubuntu dual boot. I first wanted to put LMDE, but impossible to start the live CD, it blocks at a time when even in console mode. I thought in this case that I started to put a Debian and see. I took the latest in testing amd64, I managed to install, but same, it hangs during boot after the grub. I finally got for Ubuntu. Live CD, I have small lines and other points of color across the screen, which makes me think of a problem driver (NVIDIA GeForce 320M). In alternate install, I installed it, and passed GRUB, I have the same thing. I'm not a Linux expert, let alone Mac, so if some of you have already installed Linux on a Mac Mini, can help

Mac drivers are not yet compatible with versions of Linux if it is installed natively. It is recommended to install natively unless you want to write many commands in the console.

You may partition from boot camp, and then install Ubuntu from that partition. To get started with a selection screen press ALT can leave to start or install rEEfIT .

I managed to install Ubuntu 4.11 on a mac mini that runs on Mac OSX Leopard (Core Duo 1.66 GHz / 1 GB ram). mac terminal being substantially different and less permissive, it will allow me to deepen my use of the terminal. I want to test my network and have heard of aircrack seems to be an appropriate tool. After some research on the web, it appears that the Airport card is not compatible to perform tests. Do I need an external wireless card and if so which one?

I think you have to take an external wireless card, because the internal card for the Mac, it should not have tons of them because of their openness to the world .I advise you to a personal USB wifi, there are some compatible with Aircrack , I must confess it's been a while since I have not played with wifi networks , I cannot guarantee you that these cards are compatible with Ubuntu, I've never tested .

not much science to do that, it's super easy, I have on my iMAC with good specs and Ubuntu with all its services works best, the only problem is my video card, which is not working too well, unable to get the drivers working can any one assist me on this

I'm making an attempt to put in 11.10 on my mac mini 2011 with AMD graphic chipset install a SuperDrive. I've burnt an 11.10 alternate install cd. after I boot on it, i choose language, then F6 to line nomodeset, then 'Install Ubuntu' however the install method simply hangs there. I've as well tried while not 'nomodeset' however same result. Any ideas?

Hi all.

Has anybody be able to obtain either 10.04 or 11.10 desktop to work with a MacMini 5,3 (i7 quad core server)? I saw here someone did able to support 11.10 server install though i couldn't get it to work the installer boot screen Any luck on desktop?

That's just about the machine that I actually have (i7 quad, 8gig ram). Mine has the AMD graphics, though. once more, i ultimately quit on Ubuntu and moved to Fedora on that hardware. i used to be able to boot the Fedora 16 x86_64 live desktop on a USB device with no real issues. That is a fairly easy approach for you to kick the tires with this hardware.

In Virtualbox you do not want a graphics driver. it'll just mess up the system.

You require a graphics driver on the host OS (Mac) and also the VBOX Guest Additions on the guest OS (Linux).