Thread: Thunderbolt, Debian and Ubuntu support on MacBookAir 4.1 and MacBookAir 4.2

Thunderbolt, Debian and Ubuntu support on MacBookAir 4.1 and MacBookAir 4.2

hi guys

thought to collect some info on this does nay one here has used Thunderbolt, Debian and Ubuntu support on MacBookAir4,1 and MacBookAir4,2 (2011). Can you share your experience I would like to know about this would be really glad . Need information on the SSD through the AHCI driver , support for the Intel HD graphics plus the new Broadcom Wi-Fi/Bluetooth chipset and booting the laptop in EFI mode.

Thanks in advance

re: Thunderbolt, Debian and Ubuntu support on MacBookAir 4.1 and MacBookAir 4.2

I am a newbie to Linux and that i bought a MacBook Air. Since i'm greatly curious about Linux, i need to put in Ubuntu on my new MacBook Air. I even have no super drive therefore i usesd the USB installation methodology mentioned on the Ubuntu website . However, unetbootin doesn't work on Lion. What am i able to do if i need to put in Ubuntu by using USB thumb drive?

The method that worked for me was to form a USB stick using the technique described in Ubuntu. However, note that this presume that you simply have already got access to a Linux machine - will a disciple assist you out, perhaps. as well note that if you put Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid to form the stick, you will need to repair a bug as described number of people and also facing by me . Finally, note that you will fail else from the USB stick on a MacBook Air unless you add nomodeset to the boot line

I have successfully put in Natty on my MacBook Air. However, are there any ways that to regulate the brightness of the monitor? As well, I followed the instruction to put in the Ubuntu website however multitouch still does not work.

I booted my MBA 2011 with Ubuntu put in whereas having my new mini show port to HDMI-cable connected to my external widescreen monitor. I failed to use "nomodeset" while booting. No image on laptop screen however 1920x1080 resolution external monitor, using Intel drivers. Not lot of assist once you wish to move to mobile however a some of it looks the intel driver is functioning just fine, simply not along with the of the laptop screen (yet). By the way , has anyone managed to get Bluetooth working?

However, i am unable to use it on my MacBook Air4,1. It said it supports MacBook Air 4,2 only. i try to get rid of the code that are used for checking the pc model since I guessed the drivers will run on each models. After that, I ran the shell script however some error messages were shown when running. Anyway, many thanks terribly much!

I've simply removed Ubuntu on my MacBook Air 4,1 and stay up for the complete installation guide.

I think it's initially up to Intel. They've said previously that Apple would keep the baton till mid-2012, however that is no reason to not release code supporting it in Linux before that. The chronicle for Intel in my opinion is that they take Linux terribly seriously, which each piece of hardware they manufacture gets terribly serious Linux support. i would not be shocked if we have a see Linux support before we have a see Redmond support.

Hi Folks
    I am considering to have a brand new MacBook air to place Ubuntu on it as a result of i prefer the hardware to assist the choice i might prefer to run one in all our applications as a benchmark on such a machine. Therefore i'm wondering if you would be willing to run this job on behalf of me on their Ubuntu MacBook air. The time it take is about one minute. I may send a tar ball. and therefore the its untaring and beginning it on the command line.

To the extent I have no Apple's are believed to support web re-installs from EFI. Several would dispute i am mad but I truly assume this can be safer . This technique, any reinstall automatically has all the most new security patches anyhow, i am all for Apple saying however BIOS very is extremely terrible . Also, the Samsung chassis isn't 100% duralumin--it has major plastic and doesn't present me the feeling of strength

The MBA 2011 is that the best hardware on the market, - or price-wise, period. Apple makes wise selections in hardware (EFI, openfirmware, Thunderbolt), it is a shame Linux support continues to be whacky.

It takes someday to have the Linux-laptop stack ported on it, no surprise, it is the case with all new hardware be it Apple or not. within the mean time you are up to use Mac OS, that is not a nasty OS in the least with a lot of glorious FOS software on it if you do not wish to use Apple's ones

I ensure this works ok with 11.04, kernel 2.6.38-11-generic. I did not did as asked on script to the letter as i would already patched the relevant file, however the compilation steps actually performed of course when entered one line at a time in an exceedingly terminal. at the present to upgrade to Oneiric and discover the opposite bits operating that I hadn't previously bothered with - touchpad, Mac-specific keyboard, etc.