Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 25-01-2012

Unable to shutdown ubuntu 11.10 installed on laptop

I have installed ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop. It is working fine when I am trying to turning off the device. The shutdown of the laptop is happening fine when it reach the point when it gets normally turn off and laptop is simply getting hang. It hangs when there is ubuntu logo and five dots on the screen. Can you tell me what went wrong in the situation of mine? any help will be appreciated.
Old 25-01-2012

Re: Unable to shutdown ubuntu 11.10 installed on laptop

I don?t know whether below mentioned solution will work for you or not but you can give a try to below mentioned steps.
You should launch Terminal and run below mentioned code.
Code:
sudo shutdown now ?P
Old 25-01-2012

Currently I am having Asus u46e with a ssd. At the beginning I was having issue while booting the system. I solved that by using boot option ?acpi=off?. But after doing that I got an issue while shut down the laptop. Hence I done bit research work on the above mentioned problem and simply changed boot option to ?noapic?. Now I am not having any issue while shutdown the laptop. I hope the thing which I have mentioned over here will be useful to you.
Old 25-01-2012

After going through the problem I recommend some important thing which you should check it out on your system.
You should check whether you are having
Quote:
/etc/rc0.d/S90halt > for shutdown/power off
/etc/rc6.d/S90reboot > for reboot
You should try to shutdown and check the log file.
Code:
dmesg | less
less /var/log/syslog
less /var/log/syslog.1
Old 25-01-2012

My friend was also having the same issue which you have stated over here. he has simply updated video card drivers and after that he was not having any issue.
Old 25-01-2012

I found many users online who are having similar kind of issue with ubuntu 11.10. Hence I am suspecting that there is bug issue associated with the operating system. So all the users who are having the same issue should contact the developers and file a bug report to them. They will address the bug issue and release the patch which you should download and install the same on the computer of yours.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,