Thread: Can i play sims 3 in ubuntu 11.10?

Can i play sims 3 in ubuntu 11.10?

I have recently switched to ubuntu 11.10 and I just wanted to know that Can we play sims 3 in ubuntu 11.10 or not? If yes than how and where I have to download it from? I am asking so because I am having the disc but then it is not downloading the game, so is there any other place from where I can download it??

Re: Can i play sims 3 in ubuntu 11.10?

I have recently switched to ubuntu 11.10 and I just wanted to know that Can we play sims 3 in ubuntu 11.10 or not? If yes than how and where I have to download it from? I am asking so because I am having the disc but then it is not downloading the game, so is there any other place from where I can download it??
    Yes it is possible and I will suggest you to better download the WINE and use the same to install the game and in order to launch the same just follow the below steps:
    • Once it is downloaded then just right-click the setup.exe file and then open it With Wine Windows Program Loader
    • After that you will be able to get the installer start up, since you are having ubuntu 11.10 you won’t have to make additional changes.

Just try it out and then let me know if you are able to install the game.

You can also try out the other way out, just follow the below steps:
    • First open the terminal and then type “playonlinux” without the quotes and after that just run the GUI and if you want then you can add it to the GNOME Menu manually with the above command.
    • Once you are done with the same then just install the game by clicking on the install button which will be on the toolbar and then follow the instruction till the process get completed.

Hey thanks for that but then I am not aware of this thing “add the enteries in the GNOME Menu manually” can you just explain the same in detail?? Any further help for the same will be appreciated.

In order to add entries in the GNOME follow the below steps:
    Right click on the applications menu and hit “Edit Menus”
    After that you will get a Menu editor window so just select the gui which will be in the left pane and in order to add category you can just click on the “New Item Button”
    Once you are done with this then you will get a have to make the following entry:
    Type: Application
    Name: The program name that you installed in step 2. In my case is Sims 3.
    Command: padsp playonlinux –run “The Sims 3″
    After that just click on the launcher that you have created and then run the game.

Even I need some help with the sims 3 in ubuntu 11.10, actually I have installed the game successfully and the problem that I have is that the eDimensional AudioFX Pro 5.1 Force Gaming Headset is not giving sound since I have installed the game, I was not having any problem with it and it was working fine, I also wanted to add that is also requires Alsa mixer. Are you having any idea about this and can help me out as well??

Even I need some help with the sims 3 in ubuntu 11.10, actually I have installed the game successfully and the problem that I have is that the eDimensional AudioFX Pro 5.1 Force Gaming Headset is not giving sound since I have installed the game, I was not having any problem with it and it was working fine, I also wanted to add that is also requires Alsa mixer. Are you having any idea about this and can help me out as well??
    Before I suggest you something about the same I just wanted to ask that are you getting sound when you are plug plain speakers to jack-in, I am asking you so because there are possibilities that the Wine might be having issue with the usb device, anyways just check it out and see what you find.

I think that I can help you out here, actually this is a pulseaudio problem, in order to solve the same just enter the below commands in the terminal:
    • 'padsp playonlinux'
    • After that just click on the The Sims 3 and then click on Configure This Application and then on forward and then proceed by clicking on the configure wine and then audio tab further
    • Once you click on the audio tab then you will get a pop up so just click on ok and then select the OSS driver and then close that window.
    • From net time when you launch the game then just make sure that you are launching it from terminal using 'padsp playonlinux'

Just check it out and then let me know if it is helping or not.