Thread: How to set up wireless internet on Linux Mint 12

How to set up wireless internet on Linux Mint 12

I have recently installed Linux mint 12 on computer system and I am a newbie to Linux. Previously I had windows OS and I am able to manually set up the wireless internet on my system but now for the Linux mint 12 I am proving it difficult to set up the wireless internet so if anyone knows how to set up wireless internet on my Linux then please recommend me.

Re: How to set up wireless internet on Linux Mint 12

If you want to set up wireless internet in you Linux mint 12 then you should follow the steps .
    1.plug your router in the internet socket of your computer and then plug your router into your pc using the Ethernet cable.
    2now go to your browser and enter the IP address like 192.168.0.1 whichever address the web server is listening.
    3 first enter your user name and password from your router and then from your internet service provider.
    4. and finally enable wireless and set your encryption (WEP or WPA) and enter the pass key which is easily memorable for you .
    5. your network should be detected automatically by your distribution and If is not then you should try with Mint Wi-Fi as you are using the linux mint. And once detected you are connected on the network and you can use wireless internet on your computer.

I think you can easily setup the internet connection manually by following these simple steps:
    1.First set up the wireless network on your Linux system then go to network manager and finally select the encryption (WEP or WPA) and enter your pass key. Now you are connected to the network and now you can surf the web with wireless internet connection.

I am also using the Linux OS on my computer and before connecting to the internet can you just explain me the steps for how to connect to the wireless network with my router in Linux, so please help me.

If you want to set up wireless network on your Linux system then you should follow the steps mentioned below:
    1.Turn off your computer and plug your wireless adapter into a suitable slot and then turn on your computer and login when prompted. open the terminal window and type the following command ‘nm-tool ‘ this program will give you a output that whether the network manager has collected the information of your card and this will assist you in setting up the wireless network.
    2 now check the output if it contains state: connected then wireless adapter is working and you are now connected to a network.
    3.now left click on your panel applet and see for the wireless network and if you able to see the wireless network then your wireless works and you need to connect to the internet.
    4.now with the driver loaded go to the panel applet select your wireless network or try to connect to the hidden wireless network and then enter your network information which is provided to you and try to activate the connection for internet.