Thread: Mac formatted drive cannot be detected

Mac formatted drive cannot be detected

I am having some problem to connect one mac formatted drive with the computer. Actually when I connected that to the computer then it was not visible and so I opened the disk manager and it was listed there something about a boot drive or GUID. I don’t know that what is this GUID and why the drive is not coming up on my computer. If you can help me with this then please post your suggestions over here. I will appreciate each and every reply for this.

Re: Mac formatted drive cannot be detected

I would like to tell you that the OS X is making use of the partitioning scheme and that is totally different as compared to the windows. This is the reason that it is not showing you the partitions. I hope that this makes you clear that why you are getting this issue.

You can change a GPT (GUID Partition Table) disk to an MBR (Master Boot Record) with the below steps. This is done with the Using the Windows interface.
    1. Secure or move all volumes on the GPT basic disk (GUID Partition Table) that you want to convert to a disk MBR (Master Boot Record). Proceed to step 2 if the disk contains any partitions or volumes.
    2. Open "Computer Management (Local)".
    3. Click in the console tree, click Computer Management (Local), click Storage, and then click Disk Management.
    4. Proceed to Step 5 if the disk contains any partitions or volumes. Otherwise, click the right mouse button on the volumes on the disk, and then click Delete Volume.
    5. Click the right mouse button on the GPT disk that you want to convert to an MBR disk, and then click Convert to MBR disk.

I am agree with the above post and this will work for you but to perform this procedure on a local computer, you must be a member of the group "Backup Operators" or "administrators" on the local computer, or have permission you must have been transferred. To perform this procedure remotely, you must be a member of the group "Backup Operators" or "administrators" on the remote computer. If the computer is joined to a domain, this procedure may be performed by members of the group "Domain Admins".

You can also do the same with the command line as well:
    1. Save all the volumes before performing this.
    2. Open the command prompt.
    3. Type "DiskPart" and Continue with Step 7, if the disk contains any partitions or volumes.
    4. Enter the "list volume " at the DISKPART prompt and Write down the number of volumes that you want to delete.
    5. Enter "select volume n" at the DISKPART prompt.
    6. Enter "delete volume " at the DISKPART prompt.
    7. Enter "list disk" at the DISKPART prompt.
    8. Enter "select disk n" at the DISKPART prompt.
    9. Enter "convert mbr " at the DISKPART prompt.

I think that using the command prompt will be the best option for you. I would like to tell you the system you are using might behave differently and this is totally depend on the operating system that you have installed on the computer. Other than this there are some of the other factors which matters like your account permissions, and menu settings.

Windows cannot natively mount/read a Mac formatted drive. Generally, the same goes the other way around too (OS X doesn't handle NTFS very well, and is usually disabled by default). Your only real option is to purchase MacDrive from Mediafour - which will allow you to mount HFS/HFS+ drives. They do have a trial version available, should this only be a one-time thing.

It is worth noting however, that even MacDrive stumbles on HFS/HFS+ partitions. So unless your entire physical disk is formatted as such, you're likely not to be able to read it at all (unless of course, you can boot into OS X - but It doesn't sound like this is a possibility).

The multiple DISKPART/storage instructions above notwithstanding, if you just needed the space, and not the files within that drive, a partition is a partition is a partition. In other words, regardless of what format the partition is in, it's just as easy to reformat it as any NTFS disk is.

Just format that drive with the NTFS format from the command prompt and this will make that drive detected in your computer.