Thread: History of Windows Operating system

History of Windows Operating system

We all know that the operating system is nothing but the collection of the software which manages the functioning of the computer. Microsoft Windows operating system is the most famous till now Windows 3.x to Windows 7 and the upcoming Windows 8. We all are familiar with the interface and functioning of these operating system but there are very few people who knows that what is the history of the Windows Operating system. So I am starting this thread over here and want to request you all to post some information about the history of this. I hope that this thread will be very helpful after replies.

Re: History of Windows Operating system

Windows Operating system have developed itself from when they started. Below is the basic development of Windows operating system starting from 1990 to 2011:
    • 1990-1994: Windows 3.x
    • 1995-1997: Windows 95
    • 1998-2000: Windows 98
    • 2000: Windows Me
    • 2001-2006: Windows XP
    • 2007-2008: Windows Vista
    • 2009-2010: Windows 7
    • 2011: Windows 8 (under construction)

Windows is a family of operating systems developed and marketed by Microsoft. Versions are available for homes, businesses, servers and mobile devices. Once installed then you will get several programs that are very useful like:

• Internet Explorer
    • Windows Media Player
    • Windows Movie Maker
    • Windows Mail
    • Windows Messenger
    • Windows Defender

From last many years, this is the most widely used operating system and used the world as most of the programs are developed based on this operating system only. Windows 1.0, appeared in 1985 and was the first version with GUI. Windows 2.0: Appeared in 1987, and was slightly more popular than the original version. It is due to new applications such as Microsoft Word and Microsoft Exe. Windows 3.0: Published in 1990 and profit from the improved graphics layers of that time with the 80386 microprocessor to work in the "multitasking". Windows 3.1 and Windows 3.11 have various small improvements that is included in the Windows 3.0, especially the media. Later, Microsoft released Windows drivers which are included improved communications network.

Windows NT was the new operating system and that was contracted many problems such as incompatibility in hardware and existing software and also needed a large amount of resources because they were having the large and expensive equipment with the graphical interface in Windows 3.1.

Windows 95: Appears in 1995. Although its interface is still running on MS-DOS. It was an integrated facility that made it appear as a single operating system. This Windows included support for Plug & Play technology. The evolution of the Internet and the power of the Intel team led Microsoft dominate the world stage with solvency. The manufacturers were turning to this system when removing the drivers for the devices. It was later released a version with USB support for PC hardware features low. In The June 25, 1998 Windows 98 came and this new system gave support for new technologies such as DVD, AGP, FireWire, USB and inclusion of new internet browser on all windows.

Lets have talk about the Windows Millennium Edition (ME). This system was introduced in 2000, which was a copy of Windows 98 with more applications added. This version did not bring processing unit 16-bit and focused only on new hardware support 32-bit for it. This only worked properly with the new equipment, very little synthesis was popular for its continuous errors and many disadvantages of use.

Windows 2000 came in the year 2000. It was the new version of Windows NT with a lot of network services and admitted Plug and Play devices that were a problem for NT. Below are the main improvements for this:

Storage:
    • Support for FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS.
    • File Encryption (EFS).
    • Indexing Service.
    • Distributed File System (DFS).
    • System fault tolerance (RAID) with dynamic disks (software).
    • Terminal Services native.

Communications:

• Remote Access Services (RAS, VPN, RADIUS and Routing).
    • New version supports HTTP/1.1.Active IIS Directory.
    • Load balancing (clustering)
    • Services network unattended installation (RIS).

I think all the older versions of this have been discussed and so I am going to start with Windows XP. Windows XP put in sale in 2001 in its with the Home and Professional. It incorporates a new interface and boasts more multimedia capabilities. In the multimedia section, XP is a preview version with Media Center (2002-2005). This version offers an easy access interface with everything related to media. Windows Vista: appeared on the market in early 2007. Windows Vista brings a new graphical interface called Aero, which is an evolution of the graphical interface of Windows XP called Moon. This system is characterized by its delay in hitting the market every time his departure was more prolonged.

Currently the most used operating system is Windows 7 but there are still some of the users who are stuck with the Windows XP may be because of the system requirement. But if you want to go one step ahead then you can also go for Windows 8 developers preview.

I will never recommend someone to use the Windows 8 now as this is the developer preview and will be surely full of bugs as this is available to find the bugs. I will never get that unless the final version is released. I am happy with my Windows 7 for that time.