Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Change computer name field property to the mounted computer name

Operating Systems

Old 09-01-2012

Change computer name field property to the mounted computer name

My setup: Ubuntu box that shares to windows machines using samba. I integrated and made the Ubuntu box member of the windows 2008 domain so when I connect with a windows computer the domain users takes the ownership instead of Linux users. But what i want to do is also change the computer name property/attribute to the computer name that mounted the shared directory and created the sub-directories and files. For example, if windows computer named winpc created a file in the ubuntu box, the computer name field should not be named under the ubuntu box but winpc. I am asking in the operating system section because maybe any experts here of have done similar like this might have done it under the client machines or server machines through scripts and registry changes instead of the samba configuration file (smb.conf).

Old 10-01-2012

Re: Change computer name field property to the mounted computer name

You have to perform following steps and let me know whether it is working or not.
  • You should login to Ubuntu and launch Terminal.
  • Run the following command on terminal.
  • Code:
     gksudo gedit /etc/hostname
  • if it is prompting for the Admin password then provide the same.
  • wait till the text editor windows is supposed to open and alter the current computer name which is inside of hostname file.
  • Click on save button and restart the computer.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: ,