Thread: Dual monitor setup not working with Nvidia card after upgrading to Ubuntu 11.10

Dual monitor setup not working with Nvidia card after upgrading to Ubuntu 11.10

Recently I upgraded my computer with Ubuntu 10.04 to 11.10 and after that I cannot make use of two monitors. Well I am using Nvidia GeForce 7500 LE graphic card. As I go for nvidia-settings and go for the X Server Display Configuration tab I am getting
    ‘Unable to load X Server Display Configuration page:

Failed to query NoScanout for screen 0. ‘
    error message on the system. the monitor is working with VGA but it did not working with DVI.

I am waiting for the prompt replies of yours. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Dual monitor setup not working with Nvidia card after upgrading to Ubuntu 11.10

You can use the following steps to fix the matter of yours.
    You should launch the nvidia-settings and after that Enable second monitor.

After that save configuration file located at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Now close the nvidia-settings and log out from the system.

Once done the second monitor will be enabled.

Re: Dual monitor setup not working with Nvidia card after upgrading to Ubuntu 11.10

If the above mentioned solution does not work for you than you can do the following.
    • You should delete the xorg.conf by using following command. you should back up xorg.conf file before deleting.
    • Code:
      Sudo rm /etc/X11xorg.conf
    • Reboot the system and xorg.conf file will be created. After that install the NVIDIA accelerated graphic driver on your system.
    • Now launch nvidia x server settings and it will be displayed on both the monitors.
    • You should select the screen which is not working and simply Set Configuration: TwinView.
    • After that Save X configuration file.
    • Now see whether the thing is working or not.

There were many users who are facing the same thing and they were not able to fix. somehow I got the following solution.

1. You should disable all the active driver installed on the computer of yours and install the latest version of the Nvidia drivers.
    2. After doing that reboot the system.
    3. Now run following commands.
    4. Code:
      cd /etc/X11/
    5. Code:
      cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.backup
    6. now launch the terminal on the system and run the below mentioned command.
    7. Code:
      sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-pixbuf
    8. after that run following command.
    9. Code:
      sudo nvidia-settings
    10. and go for X Server Display Configuration. Do the desire settings and don’t click on Apply button.
    11. Once you have completed you have to save X Configuration File.
    12. Finally logoff and Login on your system.

You should remove the monitors.xml from ~/.config folder when the computer is connected with Dock. Once done you should logout and login on your system.

Well I am aware of having solution which is bit similar with the suggestions provided by many of the users.
    You should remove the Nvidia drivers from the computer by using following command.

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
    now remove xorg.conf using following command.
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    now you should reinstall xorg and reconfigure

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64 libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    reboot the system.

if both the monitors are displaying the same picture then you should launch Displays settings from the System Settings and uncheck the mirror displays option.

Let me know whether any of the above mentioned solutions were worked for you???? if issue is seems to persist than you should contact the technical support team and ask about further help.

For me, aSITA's advice with installing gtk2-engines-pixbuf worked, but not exactly the way he/she described it. Unfortunately i don't have a proper tutorial. These are the steps I took and results obtained:
    right after ubuntu 11.10 install
    -install nvidia accelerated graphics driver version current recommended
    -run sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-pixbuf
    -reboot -> didn't worked, external monitors have no signal.
    --delete xorg.conf, reboot
    -install Nvidia acc graph dirver vs-current-updates (it might also work it the "recommended" version)
    - nvidia-settings: enable left monitor in twinview with laptop display -> nvidia-settings gui froze, reboot.
    -enable right monitor in separate X screen, make left mon primary display for the X screen
    disable laptop display, move right monitor in the disired position (maximize nvidia-settings screen), Save to X configuration, reboot -> Result: left screen is grey, not good.
    -enable laptop display,reboot ->left mon gets disabled automatically, not good.
    -disable laptop display, move monitors to desired position, reboot ->it works!

Look at the attached screenshots.

One inconvenience: even if the right monitor is set to primary, the vertical dock bar (Unity launcher) sits on the left monitor. I would like to have it on the right monitor. In nvidia-settings I tried to modify Position: to be +0+0 for the left monitor instead of the right one but this didn't impressed Ubuntu too much.
    Do you guys have any idea how to do this?

Other Ubuntu related problems, that, BTW, do work on an identical setup in Windows 7:
    -laptop has lid closed and is docked; if you undock the laptop with the os started, the lapotp display won't be active although ubuntu works in the background.
    -if you dock the laptop with the os started in an undocked position the external monitors won't be active.

LE: I also tried Dayanidhi's advice but this setup sucks. Putting all the job on the xserver core instead of the nvidia driver makes Ubuntu Unity move really sluggish. And also you cannot choose which monitor goes where because it's all one big monitor with 2720x1024 resolution. I had to reinstall Unbuntu in order to fix it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lmihaila; 11-01-2012 at 03:52 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Dayanidhi View Post
    Well I am aware of having solution which is bit similar with the suggestions provided by many of the users.
    You should remove the Nvidia drivers from the computer by using following command.

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
    now remove xorg.conf using following command.
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    now you should reinstall xorg and reconfigure

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64 libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    reboot the system.

if both the monitors are displaying the same picture then you should launch Displays settings from the System Settings and uncheck the mirror displays option.
    This did it for me! Thanks a lot Dayanidhi! I've been sweating a full day over this... f