Thread: Shared network shows unidentified computer

Shared network shows unidentified computer

I am having couple of macs and windows PC at my place. All are in network and working well. Last night I noticed that there is one PC in the network as "new-host-3". Initially, I thought that this is one of the PC's in the network but when I turned of all of them and unplugged that then also I was able to see that PC in the network. Yesterday I purchased a new Macbook pro and a wireless printer and I put those to the network. Can that be the reason for this problem. What is wrong with this, Can you guess that. Please let me know that. Please reply ASAP.

Re: Shared network shows unidentified computer

This looks like you are having the uninvited guest to the wireless network. This is the only reason that I can guess for this. Are you having some kind of security? Please reply with this so that we can provide you better solutions for this.

If you are using the WEP for the password then I would like to tell you that this would be not most secure of passwords and it is very easy to get hacked. My suggestion to you is to make use of the WPA and the most important thing is that, you will have to keep changing the password. This sounds like someone from some device other than your network is trying to use your network.

As you told that you have recently installed the wireless printer to the network so I think that it might be your printer which is having the default name as you have mentioned. This is the default name given by the server to the printer as this is not having the host name. I am 90% sure that this is the only reason for this issue. If you want to verify this then you can simply check your router and see that what is the IP given to the printer from the DHCP clients table. After that you can map that back against device.

This is surly the hack on your server. So what you can do is, just change the password and put encryption set to WPA or WPA2 on the wireless router. This is one of the most important thing to do considering security in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaganvihari View Post
    This is surly the hack on your server. So what you can do is, just change the password and put encryption set to WPA or WPA2 on the wireless router. This is one of the most important thing to do considering security in mind.
    Yes, I have changed the password and it is not showing me this from then. So I think that it was the only culprit for this. Anyways, thank you so much for your replies.