Thread: privileges required for Administrator in ubuntu.

privileges required for Administrator in ubuntu.

i am using ubuntu operating system and it was working fine in my case, and every time I mount a Truecrypt volume a message shows , "Administrator privileges required", and always asks for the sudo password. i don't have an idea about it. and want a way to mount Truecrypt volumes without having to type the sudo password every time.i was supposing that truecrypt was possibly required for root permissions at the time of creating the folder in /media to mount the volume, so I made an attempt for creating the folder previous to mounting, but that dint worked in my case. can you suggest some ways to solve these problem.

Re: privileges required for Administrator in ubuntu.

I was also having similar issue. i am also having a test on installed truecrypt and i will state further that I don't suppose it is a truecrypt permissions problems as I am able to run from the command line: truecrypt -l to see mounted devices.the reason behind his would be that there are admin privileges needed to mount a volume unless it is specified in /etc/fstab.

i found some solution in thsi case , and hope it will work in your case.
    have a Addition of the following to your sudoers file you can edit it with the visudo
    name ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/truecrypt
    where name is your user name.

i will say in thsi case as It is nok to run as sudo truecrypt will work well in the first attempt and further if you dismount and remount, truecrypt will lock up on the remount and the processes have to be killed thereafter.

according to me to state further , i would say that if you don't suppose this adds any extra insecurity, as truecrypt enables me to run most commands without a sudo p/w anyway. then you require the disk mounting p/w.I don't believe the p/w requirement is a big problem anyway as If call truecrypt, it only asks for the sudo p/w first time

to state you in a simple manner , i will like to add some useful information. you will have your administrative privileges with the first user account on the system . This is the user account that was created when you had your first install of the system. so you should check in the user account you created and there you will get the possible hint for your solution.

i am of the similar issue as i am failing to set my administrative privileges and therefore unable to connect to the internet . i am running internet without administrative rights, but i will need soon the fix for this ., anyone knowing about this would please suggest some suggestions for the same.