Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

is there any way to custom partition an install in ubuntu.

Operating Systems

Old 31-12-2011

is there any way to custom partition an install in ubuntu.

as i cam,e across that there is a virus protection and no errors due to the malwares, i made a choice for the ubuntu operating system. i wished to have a manual install of ubuntu, but i am not knowing how to custom partition a drive. if i can get some instructions on your side then it will prove to be a easy process for me. i hope that you will help in my case.

Old 31-12-2011

re: is there any way to custom partition an install in ubuntu.

i think you must be knowing the process of installing ubuntu on your system. i will recommend some few partitioning as per below if you concern with the 250Gb hdd
  1. 1st, 100Mb to /boot
  2. and then second, 30 to 50Gb to /
  3. third for making a swap partition which will be equal to the amount of RAM in your system.
  4. and finally fourth , for the remainder set to /home
There are also other ways for having a partition, but the one above i think will keep your home files safe.
Old 31-12-2011

i just didn't have an idea about that the size of the space matters in the case and was a factor. i just was considering auto installer whenever i tried to have a install any Linux os .
Old 31-12-2011

here you are getting a different meaning. it is not the size of the space which matters and to state further the only partitions you require is the system (or the root) and the swap. there is no need of creating a separate boot partition if you consider in most of the cases.Logical or primary depends totally on your current partition layout, and there is no matter for Ubuntu operating system.
Old 31-12-2011

I wish to have as much space as possible for my data to store. i want to inquire whether swap is the virtual memory or not ? I'm on a little EEEPC with 2 gigs of physical memory, do i require for a swap after this. also in addition to this, do i require to partition off the space for my data?OK, i made an attempt for making a custom partition part for my drive using all the stuff . is there any way to define the root partition?

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , ,