Thread: Failing to copy dll files when installing Win XP

Failing to copy dll files when installing Win XP

Hey,
    I have an Asus EEEPc which most of you know has no cd drive. So, what I did is I used the program Flashboot to be able to boot and install XP from a USB drive. With FDisk I created a new fat32 partition on my hard drive (deleting the 2 main ones) on which I intended to install XP. Unpacking the xp files work, but the first time it couldn't find the EULA. The second time, and every try since then, it gives me some crap about failing to copy Wmdrmsdk.dll and another one which name I can't recall atm.

Firstly;

Does this problem stem from a bad copy of the XP?

Secondly;

Can I replace the missing dll's after I installed XP?

Thanks on behalf,

Happy

Re: Failing to copy dll files when installing Win XP

The Wmdrmsdk.dll is related to the windows media player 11 version so you have to avoid the windows media patches (KB941569, KB939683, KB936782, KB929399) if you are using a slipstreamed version of the copy of windows xp. Also, you can proceed further to install windows but you will have to reinstall the wmp 11 again. Read some suggestions given in this similar kind of topic here - missing dll file

I see!
    Thanks for the quick answer. I'm selling the computer to my father and he intends to use it as an ad hoc computer for surveillance purposes, so I think not being able to use WMP is not a major issue. Still, I'll read and follow the instructions in the link you provided since a few hours of work to get a fully functional computer is a fair trade to me.

Being on the subject, when I create partitions; Should I create a separate partition for the OS or just one which will contain both your personal files and the OS?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Happysmiley View Post
    I see!
    Being on the subject, when I create partitions; Should I create a separate partition for the OS or just one which will contain both your personal files and the OS?
    Your best bet would be to create 30% of the drive partition for the operating system and remaining for your personal files and data. This way, even if something goes wrong, due to virus attack or missing system files on the drive, you could atleast keep the data's safe by reinstalling only the os drive by formatting it and not other drives.