Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Win7: Programs won't execute, no start menu, no desktop, no C drive folders

Operating Systems

Old 26-12-2011

Win7: Programs won't execute, no start menu, no desktop, no C drive folders

I have Windows 7 OS. My computer had been working fine, then I started having problems. I ran all my virus s/w and deleted all sorts of stuff which helped the computer run better.

When I rebooted my computer I noticed several things were wrong:

1. Desktop was blank
2. No files showed up in C drive on windows explorer

I came to find out this was b/c all my files were hidden (probably done by a virus??). I went through and unhid everything and all the files, including those on my desktop were back. Yea!!

Then, I also noticed that on my start menu there was nothing, everything was blank?? I tried looking around but could not find a fix for this.

Then, I realized I could not run most of my programs (i.e. Firefox, MS Office products, ect). After poking around I found that I could only run programs out of the C:\Program Files directory. Most my applications are in teh C:\Program Files (x86) directory and anything in there would not run.

When I try and run say the firefox.exe or excel.exe nothing happens. No error message, no windows pop up, just nothing (both of these are located in Program Files x86 dir).

I am able to run IE b/c its in the regular Program Files dir. So I went to IE (which i never use) and was gonig to try reDL firefox. I was able to download the installer, but then when I tried to run the installer nothing. No pop up, no nothing.

So.... I have something wrong here. I have read other threads where just their start menu is blank or just excel wont open, and tired the seemly simple fixes but this seems to be a bigger problem.

HELP PLEASE!!! THANKS!!!

Old 27-12-2011

Re: Win7: Programs won't execute, no start menu, no desktop, no C drive folders

Seems like most of the programs got infected and due to a virus scan every other items were removed from your pc. I would recommend you to install Malwarebytes software in your pc and do a thorough scan, if it picks anything then immediately remove it and then after a restart check if the system backs to normal, if not then a clean install would be on your way.
Old 27-12-2011

I am unable to run any program including virus scanners. I can only open IE, and if I try to download anything it will download the setup file, but when I try to install it nothing happens.

I appreciate the help.

Other suggestions??
Old 27-12-2011

First of all try to press alt+Ctrl+Delete at the same time and wait for a box to open. When the box is open Click "file" at the top and then Click "New Task (Run...)". After that when you get another small box with something to type in, type in "explorer.exe" (without the "). Your Taskbar and Icons will now load, If not your computer is corrupt. You will have to reinstall the operating system again in your pc.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,