Thread: Ubuntu not recognizing midi keyboard

Ubuntu not recognizing midi keyboard

few months ago i installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop and my keyboard with USB MIDI adapter was plugged in, it was recognized directly. Both IN and OUT worked. Because of a stupid mistake by me a month ago I had to reinstall Ubuntu. The midi keyboard I wanted to use again until today. The last few days I've made some configurations with ALSA (hda-intel), it works now finally Skype microphone and sound output. It works now. Unfortunately, still no MIDI. I guess that I changed something with the Alsa stuff, so its no longer recognizes my USB device. Can someone help me?

Re: Ubuntu not recognizing midi keyboard

the Alsa Config is always dangerous. I would do this:
    1. Writing down what changes you made for Skype.
    2. Installing new Alsa:

Code:
    $ Sudo dpkg - force-all - purge alsa-base
    $ Sudo apt-get install alsa-base
    'Skype changes' Refit - Although I do not understand why you do something about the alsaconf in order to use Skype - For me it went without making a change. Possibly. do the same with 'so-utils'. It is also interesting
    Code:
    $ Tail-f / var / log / syslog
    And then pull the midi interface and reconnect times.

I have a midi keyboard "pluggable" with USB on a computer. I just spent on Ubuntu and I do not know what kind of software (or even how to configure the software) would allow me to play my keyboard using the computer with speakers. To be clear: my keyboard does not have a speaker. Before, when I was on Windows I had to go through Cubase to hear the sound of my keyboard. With Ubuntu what can i do?

I do not understand very well your problem: This is a master keyboard or a synth? Want to listen to the sound generated by your keyboard, or to generate sound from the pc? by creating a dual boot ubuntu / ubuntu studio (which I do) and then by migration, you install in your buntu linux-rt + + ubuntustudio-audio-plugins and get a whole bunch of tools, synthesizers, drum machine, sequencer and even Ardour. You just know if you were a user of Cubase VST that (being a format owner) can not be used natively on ubuntu and must play with it.

If we can use some VST plugin with Ardour (between-other), and actually the site of linuxmao is very complete. by the way, it's normal that your keyboard is not HP as it does not generate. To test "quickly" you have to use ZynAddSubFX with qjackctl, 2 are all in the repositories.

I must humbly confess that I did not know MAO absolutely (in fact it is not my purpose to practice MAO). In fact, for many years I practice the piano, but unfortunately now have a small studio for my studies, I could pick my piano. That's why a friend lent me his MIDI keyboard (Evolution MK-249C). So I can hear the sounds of the keyboard, I had to open the Cubase (also provided by my friend). Now I can not tell you if I have a master keyboard or a synth. I come now to install ZynAddSubFX and as suggested by you. Unfortunately, I still can not produce that.

After a month to find one that meets my needs and my pocket, I found it and bought it! It 'was immediately recognized by Ubuntu, the controller and the USB sound card (UCA200) included in the package.

There are many types: with or without controllers (knobs to handle the various commands midi, effects, and more), from 2 to 6 octaves. As I was looking for a keyboard nn too big (I have a Roland keyboard 6 octave), allowing me to handle almost all (with controller) and a relatively cheap Behringer I found this on the site the modest price of 155 euros (including postage and invoice) with external sound card (uca200) included in the package! There are different prices: 40 euros (without controller and 2 octaves) to 1000 euros. i recommend mine that is really comprehensive and at a reasonable price. Other brands to be evaluated are M-Audio, Miditech. I hope to check out good and forgive the length.

I have seen this midi keyboard in linux-magazine and I'm interested to buy. I was wondering one thing. the sound card also work with the midi controller? do you connect the keyboard-around> soundcard -> PC keyboard, or sign up now -> PC more as the latency and quality of the sound card? I would like to set up a small recording studio here in my room with linux! Thank you very much.