Thread: unable to mount CDROM DVD drives after upgrading from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx.

unable to mount CDROM DVD drives after upgrading from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx.

as trying from the common operating system of windows, i decided to try some new versions of operating system and now made an up gradation from 9.10 to 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx . however earlier there were no problems with my operating system , but later after this upgrade, oi found that my CDROM/DVD drives wee not working. the problem which i am having is that after inserting a CD ROM or an audio CD in any one of my two CD drives, the drive in question is not mounted automatically. an error code occurs at this time. please provide a specific solution for this.

Code:
    Error
    Unable to mount cdrom0
    mount: special device /dev/hda does not exist
    when I make use of the "mount" command in a terminal, the following code appears.
    Code:
    kai@kai-desktop:~$ cd /media
    kai@kai-desktop:/media$ ls
    C:  cdrom  cdrom0  cdrom1
    kai@kai-desktop:/media$ sudo mount cdrom0
    [sudo] password for kai: 
    mount: special device /dev/hda does not exist
    my /etc/fstab file states, i can have a expert advise on this.
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    #  -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config --
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
    UUID=1cd0c30b-c8a7-4079-8088-50da2d791998 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro,relatime 0 1
    # Entry for /dev/sdb5 :
    UUID=5bb1c419-e24f-433f-8133-bd5735cf11e1 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hda /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/hdb /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /media/C: ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0

Re: unable to mount CDROM DVD drives after upgrading from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx.

i was also of the same opinion which you had as trying for other operating system. i think here you should try for looking in with the command 'lshal | egrep cdrom' and you will came across some sort of solution.

Re: unable to mount CDROM DVD drives after upgrading from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx.

i think here in this case, you can try with ls -l /dev/{cd,dvd}* command which you have to type in the command prompt of your operating system. after trying this , i get something like this,
    $ ls -l /dev/{cd,dvd}*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-05-01 05:00 /dev/cdrom -> sr0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-05-01 05:00 /dev/cdrw -> sr0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-05-01 05:00 /dev/dvd -> sr0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-05-01 05:00 /dev/dvdrw -> sr0

i think this might the similar case of yours. if you have got this , there could be problems sorted out. and there can be possibility of having drive detected.

i made a decision over the ubantu operating system to use as it was good to perform and there was no necessity of installing drivers for display and for audio. but it rather didn't worked well. after obtaining some knowledge about the error, i made an attempt for commenting out the cdroms in fstab

so in front of the lines, make an addition of the #

#/dev/hda /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    #/dev/hdb /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

i think after doing this it will help in this issue.

thanks for your quick reply. it really helped in my issue after rebooting. in addition to this , there were no changes made in my configuration files. i was able to mount CDROM DVD drives. i first thought that there was a hardware failure but after checking the connections found that there was no such kind of thing. thanks .

i was also upgrading after exploring the features of the ubantu 9.10 and find the problems occurring on my side. my CDROM no longer auto mounts disks . My fstab looks normal , it works fine until the next reboot. although there is fine working of the drive with hdparm at the time of mounting is working. try with this method and make a command, $ sudo hdparm -I /dev/sr0 and then have a restart after this.

check if you have made some changes at the time of making an installation. also the above will not work if you made a installation besides the windows operating system. make a separate installation of it and then make a check. some issues are causing because most tend to make an installation on there windows operating system. there could be internal errors related to the OS and that why its relating to you.

i made some attempt after trying to search on web. hope this solution works in your case. you should make an attempt to disable the cd at bios. after this make an attempt for changing the boot order of the devices in bios to have a boot on HDD first and then on CD. afterwords have a login to ubuntu . it will work in this case.

i made some attempt after trying to search on web. hope this solution works in your case. you should make an attempt to disable the cd at bios. after this make an attempt for changing the boot order of the devices in bios to have a boot on HDD first and then on CD. after wards have a login to ubuntu . it will work in this case.
    thanks for your suggestion. i came to this issue after trying your method. i made an attempt for changing the boot order in BIOS to boot from hard drive first. there was a detection of CD in the case where no CD was inserted at the time of start up.

i was of the similar problem but inn my case i used the kubuntu 10.04 and to solve your problem there can be possible solutions relating it. at the time of inserting the DVD in the device notifier pops up identifying the disk. there is no indication of it when i I open a file manager . but when i click in the device notifier on available actions , I can access it, when i make a selection over file manager . i made a creation of fstab mount points and fiddled about with the automount settings in the device notifier but nothing worked in my case. so here fore i can make a guessing here the reason for apt not fetching any packages from DVDs.