Thread: Unable to boot Ubuntu 10.04 without monitor or keyboard

Unable to boot Ubuntu 10.04 without monitor or keyboard

I am trying to set up ubuntu to boot without a monitor and keyboard, changing the xorg.conf file as it did in 9.10 which is no longer works. I want to install a generic driver, as it is installed on a flash drive and want to be as hardware independent, but apparently it is not compatible with something called kms that I can not disable. I just want to make the system work without a monitor but in case you also run the desktop monitor. Nor I will use vnc or anything. anyone have any idea about this? i am trying to search this on internet and hope someone help me to solve my issue.

Re: Unable to boot Ubuntu 10.04 without monitor or keyboard

It is just a pc thing what it does is send SQL statements to server, and occasionally have to plug a monitor to set. and for that the ideal would be to install the server version, if not installed. it contains graphical environment and I think you can even remotely configure, it would use only one cpu, without display.

the fact is that when I set it and if I need to have graphical environment (in which case you plug in a monitor). with 9.10 Desktop only had to change the xorg.conf file and add a line but this does not work on 10.4. I need is to start anyway, with or without a monitor, and always start the same. It is true that the things I have installed the GUI need to run (it is configured so that you strip at the start of gnome), so I'd better start sometimes without graphical environment and others with it depending on whether you set monitoror not. You must always start the same.

here i also have the same problem. i just newly upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04. its start my boot up. after attaching KVM, it start booting with new GUI. but when i rebooted, its stop working. VNC works really good for me. i just setup fresh copy of 10.04 but dont know than also why this is not running. it won't start GDM without the monitor. i dont know why.

I have no idea of Linux, and have a few days ago built a small NAS box on atomic basis. Everything works great, there have only one small problem. A little advance on the box must have a GUI running and it must be possible to access via VNC, I would reach the shell, but I'm barely making in the company and that part annoys, there is a second employee of a little idea could do with VNC and has at least something of a reboot or updates. Ubuntu will not boot without a monitor attached, - as it is heard only on the computer network and connected the power. Then Boot to Ubuntu, since it encounters an unexpected mode.

Ubuntu server using SSH and then run a service department. Works very well and it boots without a monitor. Server restart or shutdown is only a single command that will fix your colleague, and so only due to restart GUI is take place.

whether this will work with Ubuntu but I'm in openSuse a (free) nx - run server. The server will run without a monitor in the third Runlvl. Guess that would go well with Ubuntu yet; The GUI must really do not run all the time and then from a remote on it. But if the network should not go up as you write it is does not matter anyway.

what you can do to make each event simply a normal is ubuntu desktop version and install this control via vnc. ubuntu on that computer must be connected. I really recommend you to use ubuntu server, and to have control over ssh. ssh is more secure than vnc and thus the only console commands used are of course extremely bandwidth-friendly. since you assign a password in linux which usually has, it would really matter if there was a mouse and keyboard connected or not. it can make someone with no password anyway.

I have installed on my server because of a client that runs on it, an Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS server with the meta package ubuntu-desktop. Is possibly a bit big, rich, a small window manager should. When I use vncserver. Which you can easily start using shell command (rc.local) and you can tell it, a resolution (eg 1280x800, which should work on any widescreen LCD easily be displayed). If you're now connect via VNC, it launches the first complete X server, it takes maybe 30 seconds. Then the entire desktop is visible, you need not to sign up separately. The connection to the VNC server comes only through user name and password. It may not always connect on it. If you already have problems at boot, or the server is not properly connect to the network, so the only solution, including a monitor, keyboard to slot in to the server. As an expensive solution, there are hardware VNC cards that work in the BIOS.

This is effectively the implementation of MS-RDP to VNC protocol, but also dynamic reports on new session if requested values which is not all sessions are logged. Alternatively, your colleagues miss NEN Ubuntu as the OS and then tunneled via ssh-x to each application and can render locally, which is actually the best solution for administration of servers, because this really must be running on an X.

I still think the best thing would be the server version. If you need a graphical environment no problem, install it like any other package (plus you can install the environment you want). As server and requires no graphical environment, i guess it started without problems even without the monitor connected.