Thread: 10-FC12-0017 error when trying to recover toshiba laptop

10-FC12-0017 error when trying to recover toshiba laptop

ok so a few days ago i decided to do a factory recovery in my laptop i went through all the steps and it stopped at one point and it came up with a recovery error 10-fc12-0017 and i went ahead and looked the code up online and came up with it may being a harddrive problem.

so i went out and bought a new harddrive. to my aggravation it did not work. new hard drive and came up with the same issues.

i seen it may also be a memory issue so having 2 1gb sticks i took one out and with the new harddrive tried to install it thinking maybe the 1 i took out was a bad one or something, this too didnt work, so i took the one i though was bad took the one in the laptop out and put that one in, and tried it again, still didnt work.

i tried partitioning the harddrive in 2 and tried one side it didnt work, then tried the other side, it also didnt work.

tried wiping the harddrive clean, and reinstalling that didnt work.

it gets to like 40% then stops with that error

i also tried using a factory licensed microsoft disc to try and see if i can load the os on the computer however this too didnt work i just came up with a corrupted file or missing code of some sort

the laptop worked great never had a issue with it at all up until now.

any help

Re: 10-FC12-0017 error when trying to recover toshiba laptop

There is not much information on this error but many people have already reported some issues. It is indeed a problem on hard drive although anyone are not sure if its a configuration or a manufacture failure. You can try low level formating for instance and check whether it works for you or not, read more about it here.

what about the fact that i tried a band new hard drive and still ran into the same error code?

i tried using the factory restore discs and a microsoft disc and still ran into a error?

I will advise you to delete all the partition of the hard drive and then create the different partition with the Windows. Clean install the Windows operating system and see whether the problem is still there or not. If that is also not working for you then i will advise you to contact the developer of the device and ask about the same. If your device is under the warranty period then you can replace with the new one. Contact Toshiba and ask for possible solution to resolve the issue.

ok update i met up with a guy off craigslist that offered computer help at a reasonable price. i was despreate and hesitant to buy a new computer thinking this one could be saved

he charged me 40.00 had the computer for about 4 hours and basicly he was able to get the computer back to working condition, he basicly said that the harddrive has some bad sectors. he was able to fix some of the sectors and able to get the laptop to load windows fully and correctly.

a question i have is, what he did was found that there was some bad secotors on the drive so he basicly cut the harddrive into 2 partitions, and since there were bad sectors on the first half that was stopping the windows from loading, he loaded the windows onto the back half of the harddrive or the 2nd partition,

my question is there a way to check and clean the first part of the partition that has the bad sectors or should i not worry about it till i can get another hdd?

angry Re: 10-FC12-0017 error when trying to recover toshiba laptop

It is Dec 2011 and I am having the same problem on this laptop L305 and might be that the issue is NOT related to the Hard disk. I have replaced a hard disk earlier and was able to format - install the OS with the disks purchased for $25 earlier from Toshiba. THis problem started end of 2010.

Either Toshiba HAS a Hardware problem and they WOULD NOT WANT TO ADMIT or I suspect the issue is that we have a virus that got in and rearranged the boot secotrs and now we are out of luck. I have tried similarly twice with two different larger size hard drives purchased form outside to no avail. The process of updating crashes w/ this error message after the 2nd OS Disk and when it is about 98% complete
    Calling Cust Svc (Outside US) does not help they do not even ask the right questions, but only give automated anawers, no torubleshooting capability. They refer to the Repair Svc, then call the Repair Svc ( Inside US) aqnd after 5 tries someone picks up only to for them to tell me they are like a warehosue place where we have to send the Laptops in . They try to connect me to Sales Agent ot discuss the details and the phone line drops twice w/ no Phone call back. I WILL REPAIR THIS LAPTOP.... AND I WILL NEVER EVER BUY a TOSHIBA COMPUTER EVER! Not only the HW has aproble but the Service also is down in the gutter.
    I believe the Japanese HQ needs to take a hold of this to see there are cultural issues as well as HW issues at play, w/ customers that either are going exteremely dissatisfied or are jumping the ship.