Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

What do you prefer between windows and Linux?

Operating Systems

Old 14-12-2011

What do you prefer between windows and Linux?

I am posting here just to know that what do you prefer between windows and Linux operating system. I am currently running Windows 7 on my computer and just thought to compare the Windows operating system with the Linux. So please post your opinion about this.

Old 14-12-2011

Re: What do you prefer between windows and Linux?

My choice between these two is Linux and there are many reasons for this. This is available for free , it is safer than any of the other available operating system. This is simple and can be handled by anyone regardless that he is having high level knowledge of computers. This also consumes very less space in your hard drive as compared to the Windows operating system. There is also availability of a lot of softwares as well as games for this and that is also without any charge.
Old 14-12-2011

I would like to compare this with the given three aspects.
  • The installation: In Linux, despite all efforts the installation is not always easy, but allows you to fully customize the packages you want installed. In Windows installation is configured minimum although it is very simple.
  • Compatibility: None of the two operating systems are fully compatible with the hardware, although Windows is closer, the two are close to it. Although Linux is not behind any business house with its huge popularity offers high compatibility also offering frequent updates. Windows to be part of Microsoft intends to offer a lot of drivers and their great economic power that makes the hardware companies themselves create their own drivers.
  • Software: Linux software is less in use to some areas and have a lower acceptance by companies, but thanks to the support of companies like Sun Microsystems and IBM has made much progress. Windows to be easier to use in business, has a lot of software.
Old 14-12-2011

Linux has always been characterized by the strength of your system and can take months or even years without having to turn off or restart the computer, even if an application crashes just does not totally block the system. This is one of the strong points of the Linux. In Windows you always have to reboot when changing system settings, lock easily when running operations for seemingly simple thing to restart the computer.
Old 14-12-2011

There are many reasons for changing to the Linux from Windows operating system.
  • It is free software, which means you do not have to pay anything for the system itself.
  • It is a very reliable operating system as it inherits the robustness of UNIX.
  • Ideal for networks because it was designed on the Internet and Internet
  • It is true that few programs runs only in a very specific field.
  • It is 100% customizable.
  • This is the most secure because the source code available anyone can see how much of a fault, we can say that tens of thousands of people watch over your safety.
  • Has the support of many large companies like IBM, Corel, Lotus, Siemens, Motorola, Sun, etc..
  • It is very portable, if you have a Mac an Alpha or Sparc can use Linux without problems.
Old 14-12-2011

As the Linux is open source. This concerns the core of the operating system (kernel) and the majority of the software. In contrast, the source code of Microsoft Windows is not openly visible. The programs for Windows, there is no real standard, if one looks for the programs on the Internet. An open source means that everyone can look at the workings of a program and modify it if necessary. No normal user looks at the source code of a program or its operating system If you want to make changes to individual components or property changes, most users rely on software that either included or it is available for it.
Old 14-12-2011

The various devices require drivers to function properly. For Windows, they are supplied on CD with the new devices by the manufacturer. There is often no drivers for Linux directly from the manufacturer, they must themselves be programmed by the Linux community. This is one of the best thing about the Linux.
Old 14-12-2011

There is always new features are available in all operating systems and in virtually for any program as well. Under Linux, not just the updates to the operating system be loaded easily via the package manager, as well as the update function similarly makes no ordinary programs can also be kept as up to date. For the Linux there is actually no risk of viruses and you should have already gotten around about this. There is relatively low penetration of Linux and the fundamentally safer design (there is distinction between users and administrators with different privileges than default) to that.
Old 14-12-2011

I never prefer Linux as that is very basic and simple and so I recommend you to try Windows 8 Developers Preview.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,