Thread: Massive XP virus problem

Massive XP virus problem

Okay the problem started earlier today. My antivirus warned me about 2 trojans and I had the option to ignore or put the files in 'the vault'. I picked the option to put them away and then 5 minutes later my system starts saying that theres a hard drive error and the next thing I know everything starts disappearing from my desktop.

I tried restarting but this just made it worse. I now have no icons and this fake scanner comes on and says I have a RAM and hard drive problem then tells me it can fix it after I buy something.

these are some of the messages :
    Hard drive clusters are partly damaged. Segmented load failure
    Windoes OS can't detect a free hard drive space. hard drive error

I know it's lies because I have a partitioned hard drive. Only problem is the other partition is the Mac OS. (I have bootcamp XP installed)

So I can't find ANY files on my desktop. Can't find any files in my start up. Can't use Run or system restore because of that. I can't use Safe Mode because it automatically blue screens when it tries to load up. At the very least I want to be able to open 'My Documents' just so I can copy and paste those onto a separate USB or hard drive to keep those files. I don't care if everything else has to go.

Thanks for any help in advance

Re: Massive XP virus problem

Oh ye the 'scanner' it runs always detects 14 problems. Says stuff like 'rotation speeds decreased by 20%' and something about the temperature. I can't open up task manager. It's been blocked by the virus.

Dude system restore works better in safe mode. This can be the best option if you could have entered the safe mode and perform the same. Anyways now if you are not able to do that i would advise you to stick with the current mode that you are practicing that is copying the files and storing it in the external storage device.

One small advise that i would like you to give is just press the ctrl+alt+del button and then see if explorer.exe is coming up in the list of programs running. If not then click on new task and then type explorer.exe and press ok. Do try that suggestion.

Solved the problem. It was a virus that chucked everything into a temporary folder and disabled safe mode and the task manager. The solution was to 'buy' the product that the scanner was selling. Products distributed by viruses don't have any security in ensuring people don't get keys off the net. I found a key off the net and installed the program for free which promptly replaced everything. I deleted the virus afterwards